1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E to B tune

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass Baron, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    I'm using 5 string with E - C tuning but i've been thinking of doing the same thing as Janek Gwizdala use drop tuner on E string to drop it to B so i can have a B when i need. What kind of tuner i need for the E? Should i use normal 5 string stringset?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    E strings are not B strings! you're talking 100-105 vs 125-130.

you could of course try tuning your E down to a loose, floppy, buzzy B, but it won't have anywhere near as good a sound as an actual B string.

3. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    So i should tune my B string to E and so on?

4. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

5. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    So i should use normal E string to drop to B? You know wich model fits my MTD kingston Z5?

6. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia

Sounds like you need another 5string tuned BEADG or a 6string.

7. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    The drop-D tuner.. Drops the E to a D, not B.

8. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    NOT true turxile... i use a gotohGB7 style hipshot and go from D# to A on one bass on another i do reg % drop from D# to C#. both are accurate with a flip of the lever and can def capable of further drop (if you dont mind said "floppiness")

9. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland
    Yeah i sent hipshot an email about this and they replied that i should use GB7 for this

10. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    hey BASS BARON, I will see Janek over the weekend, i'll take a look at his bass set up and ask him about his string gauges, tunings etc and i'll get back to you next week sometime.

11. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I would suggest using a slightly heavier gauge - maybe a .110 - this would not cause too much extra tension when you are tuned to E while at the same time add a bit better resonance when dropping down to B. It will always be a compromise between the extremes when you drop a string that much. Michael Manring does a lot of big drop tunings and he makes it work! :)

12. Sounds like some of the crazy tunings I use on my 3-string bass DAE, EAD, DGG, and CFF all with the same set of strings.
    Gauges .125 .80 .50 scale length 31.181"

13. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland

Nice ! Thanks! I would appreciate that!

14. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    ok Baron heres the deal. he's indeed using a standard .105 gauge string (though i forgot to ask the brand) and he said "yes its floppy/loose when he drops to "B" using the gotoh style tuner" actually took a look at his set up holding the first fret and around the 14th fret on the "E" string to check his relief and I would say its where most people would say is on the high side for action... he says he just lightens up his touch when playing dropped. i think he thought i was a little crazy asking all these questions and grabbing his bass but he was nice about it.

I'll sum up his success doing this with 2 things... 1. his technique (it's 99% how he manages to get by doing this) and 2. that bad ass single cut fodera!! its beautifully built and rock solid stable! that prob helps a lot.

15. rude_basstard

rude_basstard

May 2, 2012
    Maryland
    I would imagine that without an incredibly rigid neck, this would result in a drastic change in tension, knocking the other strings out of tune.

16. Bass Baron

Bass Baron

Jun 26, 2012
    Finland

Ok thanks alot! This helped a lot! I'm thinking if i'm going to try this but i'm pretty sure that i'm going to survive with out the low B. But thank you so much this really helped!