1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Early Schecter info?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sub5ound, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I was just wondering if anybody had any info on early fender style schecter basses. I have a jazz from what I think is the early-mid eighties, and is a beautifull bass that feels almost like a sixties fender...and looks like one. Ill try and get some pics up soon. Thanks for any info.

2. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    thanky McBIgsby, but I already looked at it...not specific enough.:help:

3. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    Are you the dude that posted that steinberger thread?

4. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I bet you made alot of people :crying: by saying those things about the odd looking little instruments. But folks seem to like them. Live and let live I suppose:)

5. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Early Schecter stuff is about as good as it gets. I have a late 70's one piece walnut Schecter neck on my jazz bass and its the best neck I've ever played. There isn't even a separate fretboard. The frets are installed directly into the neck. I try to buy all the US Schecter stuff I can find when my bank account allows. Some Schecter can be heavy, but playability and tone are always top notch.

Mike

6. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I have a 14+ pound (my kitchen scale bottoms out at 14lbs, and this pins it with ease) 1980 or so Schecter Jazz with a neck twisted and warped beyond repair here that disagrees with you :D

It was the shizzle in '82 when I bought it though. It was expensive even then - I think I paid $1300 used, that was a lot of dough (I was 18 at the time)

2509693681_206a359a60_b.

Phishaholic, make me an offer :D

7. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    early schecters are hard to find...

8. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Here is mine. 15+ lbs :eek: of back breaking rosewood. One piece body and neck. Only played her on one gig. Her weight is probably why she is still in very good to mint condition. Both neck heel and body are stamped SCHECTER and has anodized brass pickguard with Monstertone pickup and electronics. Other than that there is no serial number or nameplate on the headstock.

l_901fdad7b9e3bbf15df19285df05ea60.

*Believe this to be one of the earliest fully assembled basses. From what limited information I have found the first basses they fully assembled were for Manny's music. When I received this bass it came in a cheapo Manny's gig bag that would have been period correct. About $1300.00 new in its day. Managed to snag this one a few years back on eBay for about $600.00.

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Schecter Custom Shop has always been very elusive. No Web site, you can only contact them via a dealer, no direct contact.

But they always been top notch. I don't understand why don't they open up more. Maybe they have enough orders as it is, or are too busy setting up the Korean models.

I had a brand-new custom shop Jazz clone a few years ago, and it was on par of, say, Lakland, for a fraction of the cost. They sure like doing oil finished.

The is one of the biggest dealers:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Schecter-USA-CUSTOM-SHOP-C156.aspx

I sure they can answer any questions, even about early models.

10. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Excellent, another opportunity for me to post pics of (and fawning adulation for) my mid-1980's Schecter!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These basses are the schidt.
    Best. Passive. Bass. Ever.
    You could not pry this bass from my cold dead hands.
    And every other Schecter I've played from this same vintage (essentially 1979-1987) was the same thing: a boutique beauty that kicked Fender's ass so hard that Fender went home crying and moved to a different school district.

11. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    Awesome. Cant wait to post a pic somewhere of mine. It's a tobacco burst with a rosewood fretboard. Tort pickguard, was a flimsy white one. Some idiot dug out a chunk of wood around the truss rod nut so he wouldnt have to take the neck off. Big vintage style tuners...plays like dream though. Paid 600 bucks for it from a friend a few years ago.

12. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    Lefty...I do agree!:cool:

13. kimbass

kimbass

Sep 30, 2008
    I have a 1979 schecter pj that I bought new in 1979 at Brian Guitars in Hamden Ct. According to the early schecter website, it was one of only 20 dealers selling them. The body is a single hunk of flawless Koa and the neck is pau ferro. Gold hardware. Oil finish. I recently replaced the pickups with Bartollinis as the originals delaminated and weren't wired well. This bass is stunning, I will try to show some pics. While looking for early schecters, I have never seen a single one of these originals. This is the first site that has mentioned them. Mine is definitely one of the first to come out of the shop as a complete instrument. The headstock does not have schecter on it, no indications of what it is besides the burned in logo on the neck where it bolts to the body.Kim

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would love to get my hands on a Schecter Traditional custom shop whille I am out here in CA. Info is really hard to come by on them.

15. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    A guitarrist friend of mine has a very early 80's Schecter strat. I think he bought it new sometime just after I was born. It sounds great and he swears by it. It has large pole pickups like some of the instruments here, so I guess they are originals.

I was looking at it the other day, and it has the real mojo that "reliced" instruments try for. A maple board with worn through and darkened fingerboard, worn, but not destroyed finish, etc, etc.

Lefty 007,
    If you don't mind, how much did your Schecter go for?

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I believe all this stuff was when Tom Anderson was running the show. Kind of like 145 pound sadowsy's. Quality for sure though.

Too bad they cheapened the name into what it is.

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

I hardly agree with that at all. If anything "to bad they started putting EMGHZ's into most of the basses"

I've had no complaints at all of build quality of any Schecter's i've had.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Robert DeLeo of STP still plays Schecter USA basses. :bassist:

19. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    The guy I got it from is a good friend. I paid $600 cash for it about four years ago. He bought it at 30th st Guitars. He also mentioned that it was a Tom Anderson. It's a tobacco sunburst, really pretty and it's got cool natural wear and some other dings from gigging. It has a short serial# that Ill have to check. It is my #1 bass and I have yet to try out a "real" jazz that even comes close in playability and tone. Great recording bass. BTW, it has what I believe is referred to as a "lawsuit" headstock, identical in shape to a Fender.

20. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    Here it is