Eastman VB95T vs. Shen SB150?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by devnulljp, Oct 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    It's about time I upgraded from my Strunal ply bass -- it's a workhorse, but I feel like i need to wrestle with it more than I like just to play it. Locally, I've found a Shen SB150 hybrid and an Eastman VB95T hybrid that are within the budget. Both basses have been setup by the same local luthier.

Anything to watch out for with either of these basses? I've played Eastmans in the past that were real dogs -- maybe just a bad setup, but it really put me off, so much so I almost didn't give this one a 2nd look.
    I played the Eastman at the weekend though, and it sounded great. Nice round tone out of it, and decent volume (much much better than my cheap Strunal, which I feel like I have to hit really hard just to get a note).
    Haven't tried the Shen yet. The Eastman is a grand cheaper.

I play mostly jazz, and gig out a lot, so a good-sounding, sturdy, reliable, easy to play bass is what I'm after.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a 2004 Eastman VB100 that I scored inexpensively this spring. I've been very happy with it, and I noticed how loud it was the first time I played it, in the shop.

The only thing I didn't like was the shiny finish. I took some ultra-fine steel wool to it, and it looks much better.

3. Play them side by side if you can. Maybe the shops will agree to a one week trial period.

4. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Thanks for the comments.
    Turns out the Eastman I had played sold, but they had another. Same model. I played it and it was pretty good but not like the first one. Went and tried the Shen, and holy crap different beast altogether.
    Might have been the setup, although they were both done by the same luthier. So, I actually just bought the Shen (from the luthier as it turns out) and couldn't be happier with it.
    Sounds fantastic, and plays beautifully. Played it at rehearsal last night and everyone else loved it too.