1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB Slinky's going dead faster than I'd like. Other options?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stflbn, Mar 15, 2010.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I love the sound of slinkies on my 2000 SR5. However, I'm finding that I'm only getting a couple gigs out of them before they're getting deader than I'd like.

I don't have issues with acidic sweat or anything.

So... i'm going to first try some of the EB Coated Slinkies this week.

Other than that... try something like ProSteels, Dunlops, etc that are Stainless rather than Nickle?

I don't slap or play with a pick a lot, so I'd probably get a lot of life out of a set of Elixir's also.

I'm currently using D'Addario XL's on my 5-string Fender Deluxe Jazz with Sadowsky guts, and they worked fantastic last weekend 'new', but we'll see how they hold out after a couple gigs. I'm finding that I'd rather roll back the tone on an edgier string than I would fight to brighten up a mellower string to find more clarity.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    That's what I would suggest: go with some stainless steel strings like the D'Addarios and see how those work.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Should I expect more life span out of the Stainless than I am the Nickles? Again, I'm not expecting 3-4 months of gigging out of the strings... just would like more than a couple 4-hour gigs.

4. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Ernie ball strings go dead quick. I personally use and prefer steel strings. If you dont mind spending a little extra cash DR strings are what i suggest.

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Nothing sounds like Slinkys on an SR, but I too tire of replacing them when gigging a lot. I bounce back and forth between Slinkys and Elixirs. I have yet to try the coated Slinkys but I would like to.

6. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    If you like the tone of nickels, I wouldn't suggest trying to convert to steel. Very different kind of string.

Instead, I'd suggest trying out a few different coated strings. They usually aren't as "brand new" bright, but are pretty close, and retain that tone a whole lot longer.

Elixers seem well liked, DRs are worth a shot as well - even their non-coateds seem to have a pretty long life compared to a lot of others. Sunbeams if you like some flexibility/the general feel of round cores, nickel Lo Riders if you prefer the stiffness of hex core. And, of course, the coated ones (which come in a rainbow of colors! :D).

7. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville SC
    Elixers all the way...a set lasts me about 6 months...anynone's non coated string last me a gig and that's about it.....elixers may not be 100% as bright as uncoated, but they are about 98% and last for a long time.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I apparently have formed a liking for new nickels. But am not liking them after they've lost their clarity. My understanding is that the Stainless will hold that newness longer?

9. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    my favorites so far have been bluesteels or elixirs ... usually play the blues on fretted, elixirs on fretless. they seem (to me) to keep the zing about the same amount of time.

granted, i play with a pick as much as without, and get a little heavy with the thumb sometimes, but not much in the popping arena ...

10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    IME, there's nothing like Slinkys out there in terms of feel and sound, especially on a Music Man. They do die fast, but I like that more dead sound that they get. I think the coated EBs are probably your best bet.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    We'll see how the Coated Slinkies do on the SR5. A set arrived today.

I'll see how the current XL 170's do on my Fendowsky 5-string. If they don't seem to last as well as I'd like I'll probably either try a set of Steel's on it, or Elixir's. Or both in that order.

I think the thing that triggered this change in preference is my recent switch to a RH450 head and RS210/RS112 cabinets. I used to prefer broken in sunbeams on my basses (not SR5), but now I'm much more into that nice edge I'm getting from newer strings.

12. VenomJohnny

VenomJohnny

Mar 10, 2010
    new Jersey
    I personally didn't like the earnie ball coated strings, The sound I was getting out of them wasn't what I was looking for. I think you a good switch with D'Addario but I also really like fender strings depending upon the bridge you have on your fender 5 string they could work really well.

13. i like the DR black beauties, i found the coating thinner than elixers and they stayed fresh longer than hi-beams (i do have acidic sweat though), and they do look kinda goofy on some basses.

14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    DR High Beams

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Elixers are among the worse sounding strings to me that Ive tried. I do like EB slinkies esp for basses or guitars that could use a bit more crunch to their sound. Theyve lasted about the same as rotosounds to me, good 2 and half to 3 months max with regular playing. Rotosounds arent as bright as other stainless roundrounds Ive tried, so theyre lifespan is about the same as nickel's to me. You might try them or GHS boomers as another very good brand imo.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    As explained above... I'm getting only 2-3 gigs out of EB slinkies before they're losing their clarity live. Hence searching for other options with more durability in their clarity. Probably will end up trying Elixir's also...

Trying EB Coated Slinkies on the Musicman starting this weekend.
    Trying ProSteels on my Fendowsky starting this weekend.

We'll see how they stack up.

17. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    A little late I know, but Dunlop SS strings may be worth a go. They are the most Nickel sounding stainless strings I have tried (which is the reason I dont like them), and should last longer than the EBs.

Having said that, seeing as how you like slinkies when new, which are very bright, it does open up many SS string options.

18. I always thought that new slinkys were more low-mid voiced and punchy. Their nothing like D'Addaro or Highbeams

19. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010

I agree 100%. Elixirs are the best in my book for longevity. I get a full summer's worth of playing margarita tents, beer gardens and grandstand shows from one set on my BTB. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 nights a week playing, I'm talking 4 and 5 nights gigging. Hot, sweaty, humid gigs. Where everything else failed Elixirs held up.

20. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I would agree, but not when they are new, I guess they must sound different to us. I recently got a new set of slinkies, and compared them to a brand new set of Rotos (66 steel) I got on the same day, and believe it or not the slinkies were actually a lot brighter, despite being Nickel. Now though after two weeks they sound as you describe.

PS: I never mentioned highbeams or D'addario ;).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020