1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ebay basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chris Baldwin, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    As not to sound repetative I'm a begginer with a low budget. I would like your thoughts on the single cutaway bass on ebay. It has a solid spruce top, ebony fingerboard, and maple neck. My concern is the thickness of the top being 7/32" and the fact that its an ebay bass. Any and all feedback and opinions will be appreciated and taken into concideration. Thanks

ForumRunner_20111206_195911.

2. Are you aware of what a decent set up will cost you from a good luthier?

3. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    No I am not. Have never owned one or done that type of research. Please fill me in.

4. Mail order basses [ I'll use that term for anything delivered to your doorstep in a big box ] will need bridge work, possible string upgrade, soundpost set, most likely FB dressing, etc.
    Expect to pay $500 to $1000. Now is that bass a deal ?

5. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    you mean like this ...
    *** NEW 3/4 MAHOGANY CUTAWAY UPRIGHT DOUBLE BASS-10 yr WARRANTY** | eBay

Many years ago I was tempted by the cheap basses on ebay too, but when I started looking for information on "upright standup doublebasses" I soon found myself here...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/ba...-please-read-before-posting-new-topics-43093/

It is well worth your time doing the research and playing some basses so you have a basis for comparison before spending your money. Bottom line is you are very unlikely to find anything of quality and a playable setup for $600. A realistic budget is more like double that for something used and around $1500 for new. I'd expect to pay more than the price of that ebay bass for the amount of setup it will likely need. If I'm going to invest that much if a setup, I'd want an instrument by a known manufacturer that is more likely to sound good. There are so many red flags in that ad I don't even know where to start.:meh:

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Please, for the love of Pete, take 15 minutes to search this forum on the term "eBay" and read what's been written. It's tiresome and disrespectful to expect time from us if you're not willing to spend a little time on your own first.

I searched on the term "ebay" in the db>basses forum and found 747 distinct threads. I would venture to suggest that 700 of them have the same advice represented over and over again.

Mods, can we get a"cheap/budget/eBay sticky" or do I need to throw myself through a plate glass window?

7. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks shadygrove. Troyk thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, I'm one of the nice ones, don't be snarky. Do a search you'll see.

747 times. This is not even the first time TODAY that someone has posted this question. Hang around for 8 or 10 years and you'll feel the same way.

9. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

My thoughts:

Never purchase a BSO from a seller lacking proper credentials.

I wouldnt hesitate a moment purchasing an instrument from say, Gollihur Music. They wont ship anything unless its tested and set-up to play right out of the box. They have some very nice entry-level instruments for less than $1100.

The ebay sellers aren't so concienceous about that stuff. Its a real gamble. IMO.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I would imagine that the number is more like 742, but am not willing to read them all.

Pick the one that you found that has the best advice that you'd like every newbie to see, and I'll give it a prominent spot in the FAQ thread. :)

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    As a veteran of TB, I'm going to back up Troy. Newbies sign on here and ask the same basic questions over and over and over and over again. I've devoted a substantial amount of time to helping newbies with such basic issues, directing them toward reputable dealers, and identifying effective strategies for buying a DB. I don't want a medal; I don't want credit. I enjoy doing it.

What I do not appreciate and what I do not enjoy is when folks make it apparent that they have not made even a small effort to find the information for themselves.

With all that said, welcome to TB. :) My advice is that you do your homework. Read the newbie links. They contain a wealth of information. Use the search function before you start a new thread. When you've made yourself familiar with what's here, come on back with targeted questions. You'll find that most members here are quite generous with their time when it comes to helping others, especially those willing to help themselves even a bit.

Finally, don't buy that eBay BSO (bass-shaped object). [See, I saved you from having to search "BSO."] :)

12. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    As a newbie and in my defence I did search ebay in this forum and yes there was 747 threads and I had looked at the first 50 before I posted and had only found one thread that was even close. The rest were about selling on ebay and some used beat up cracked basses on ebay. Now as not to get off on the wrong foot I do appreciate the help from the pros. Shadygrove links were the most helpful. Thanks again Chris.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ah - it sounds like you need to limit your search to the DB forums in the box on the lower right. If you include the BG forums, all hell will break loose on any search and the number of results will resemble a google search for Justin Bieber.

14. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

Maybe this is a good time to bring this up: see the button on the top that says "Wiki"? Click on it and take a look. This is where we should create articles on advice for beginners, what to do about ebay basses, etc. Then we can just link to that. There's nothing DB related there yet I don't think....

15. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Chris, where are you located? Usually there are shops within driving distance. If not, there are a good shops that will ship if you have to buy without playing first. A starter bass usually will set you back about $1500 at least. Bass, bow, bag for starters.

16. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

17. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin

Dec 6, 2011
    I don't see a wiki button as I have this app on my phone because I travel due to my job. Matt I live in central Ohio near Columbus. I will be going to Houston tx in Jan. And have been all over Ohio and surrounding states even as far as Puerto Rico. If you are familiar with any of these areas especially Houston where I will be for two months and can make suggestions of reputable dealers I would gladly check them out thanks Chris.

18. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'll put some work into this. Thanks for getting it started.

19. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I added a bit already.

You got two great places - Nick Lloyd and Cincinnati bass cellar in Ohio. Would be a two hour drive but well worth it. I can't imagine either would not be able to get you going with a good DB.

Most of the major cities/metro areas have at least one or two shops focused on basses. I don't know of any specific shops in Houston, but I am sure someone will chime in.

20. I'll second on the boys in Cincinnati. Call Nick or Andy Stetson at the Bass Cellar and you will be set for what ever budget you have.
    This is a great town for bass shopping and these are some of the best cats in the biz....