1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebonized Rosewood Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassist1962, Oct 29, 2006.

1. I have heard the term Ebonized Rosewood. What is this and how can I tell if I have this? I am asking because my fingerboard is developing some redish brown areas. The back of the board, past the neck is black. What else would cause this if it is actual ebony, and how do I fix it? Thanks for your help.

2. "Ebonized" is just word that was made up to describe a fingerboard that has been stained or even painted black so that it sort of looks like real ebony. Today, even real ebony boards are stained black at the factory since pure black ebony is getting scarce. It's possible that your fingerboard is ebony that has been stained to cover the non black areas, but redish brown is unusual. One way to check it is to scrape away a little of the wood in an area on the bottom side of the board and look at it with good lighting. If it is not mostly black, you probably have something other than ebony.