1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS Billy Sheehan Ultimate Signature Drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by archisland, Feb 24, 2019.

1. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Hi there everyone! Here's my demo of the Billy Sheehan Ultimate Signature Drive from EBS!

Hope that it's helpful and somewhat enjoyable! :)

Plus, here's a bonus video, for those of you who want to know what the pedal sounds like without an additional preamp (the EBS MicroBass3 (demo of that one is on its way!)):

2. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hello! I've been a big fan of this pedal and it's many iterations, including the Lomenzo HyperDrive which is also in the same realm. What are your thoughts on this release against the Sheehan Deluxe? Is it very similar, or are you noticing improvements overall? Any insight that you can provide would be much appreciated, thanks!

Edit: Also, how do you think this pedal compares soundwise to say, the DG VMT Ultra? Strictly from a sound perspective. Thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    archisland likes this.
  3. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Overall, there really are a few improvements in terms of tone and whatnot. The new one sounds almost a bit more “hifi” in a way - and the hi/lo switch for the tone knob opens up an entire new realm of tone shaping options!

I do love the DG pedals - but they are quite different compared to the EBS. The DG Ultras are great preamps, and this is more of a super versatile, tone shaping distortion pedal (if that makes any sense) that’s more comparable to the B3k or the VMT :)

Anyways - sound wise, this one feels more like a hifi tubescreamer that goes to 11 whereas the DG is more of a pissed off tube amp (Ampeg or such) that is driven beyond madness (if that makes any sense)

andrew and bigsnack like this.
  4. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    That totally makes sense. Thanks!

archisland likes this.
  5. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    When is this pedal hitting stores?

6. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    May, I think :)

7. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    The raw tone of the Yamaha signature bass does a lot in achieving BS' sound, I would have tested the pedal using a different bass also. Beside that, this preamp nails the classic BS tone even better than the older ones. I just hope that's a prototype though, 'cause it looks so cheappppp.. meaning as "JOYO" cheap. Unless they sell at 100$, then I'm ok with it.

8. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    No one bought this when it came out?

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    According to EBS, it’s selling pretty darn well! :)

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Not on TB, apparently. ;) BUMP!

andrew likes this.
  11. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Or anywhere else around here...

I heard a few demos, thought they sounded pretty good, went to look for one, and was amazed...by the lack of buying options! Particularly, since the EBS BS pedals seem to get pretty good reviews almost everywhere. Sweetwater, who is apparently an EBS dealer, only has the original. Fortunately, I think my bass dealer is able to get EBS stuff, so we shall see.

Seems like it's Reverb or nothin'...

12. ChuckMann

ChuckMann

Oct 24, 2013
    I guess the question I still need answered is, is this pedal really that much different than the Deluxe?
    I hate to pay another $200+ for another pedal if the benefit isn't worthwhile

13. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Personally I would say it's not that different. If you like the deluxe, you will like this. If you don't like the deluxe, this pedal is not going to change your mind. That being said, I've owned all three and I like the Ultimate the best out of the three, but the difference is extremely subtle. FWIW, the Sheehan Deluxe / Ultimate is my favorite drive pedal of all time! It sounds fantastic to my ears, and on subtle settings adds just enough edge to the midrange without losing any definition.

andrew and Fuzzbass like this.
  14. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    I ordered mine a few weeks ago. Hopefully EBS gets more Ultimate pedals to Prymaxe soon.

Fuzzbass and lesclaypoolsob like this.
  15. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Picked one up used on Reverb for what seems to be a good price. Looking forward to comparing this to the YYZ.

andrew, StevieMac and Fuzzbass like this.
  16. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I have the Sheehan deluxe version and am considering trying the YYZ.

lesclaypoolsob likes this.
  17. lesclaypoolsob

Jul 5, 2006
    Initial impression is that the Sheehan Ultimate is more of a true bi-amp sound. It reminds me of the Tech 21 DUG but without the inherent scoop - this is a GOOD thing. Very versatile pedal with the boost, comp, phase, clean & dirty loops.

I'll probably keep it!

bigsnack, StevieMac and Correlli like this.
  18. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I'm after one of these too, possibly, as I prefer my full signal on the clean side of the blend. I have the DG Vintage Ultra v2, which does this pretty well -- also allows clean signal EQ and sculpting of the OD tonality.

19. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Excellent, thanks for the information.

20. lesclaypoolsob

Jul 5, 2006
    I still like mine very much. I use mine for low gain applications though. It really does capture that bi amping thing that a lot of us crave. The clean channel retains your original bass tone - not a baked in version like the YYZ.

StevieMac, Lowbrow and Fuzzbass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021