Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS power??.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZenBass, Jan 22, 2004.

1. I have recently bought an EBS Fafner and 4x10...

and currently using a Marcus Miller Jazz and my lovely and faithful GB Spitfire..(the GB being the bass i use 98% of the time...

on its own the rig sounds phaat and punchy and i love it to death....

Put it in a gigging situation or practice situation and it all goes to pot...the punch factor goes even with tweaking off the EQ.. you can feel i rumbel but you dont get that..punchyness...

is it the 4x10 needs an extra cab or can some1 throw some light on getting a tone that when stood on stage ..punches through the mix..

tisnt the GB i know that...cause ive eq directly into a PA before and it blew the sound eng away...:D

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do you set the eq on the amp?
    It might be that you have to much mids cut out.

3. My usual settings are

Comp - 1 o'clock
    Bright - 10 o'clock
    Bass - 4 o'clock (with bass switch on)
    Mid - 12 o'clock
    Mid Freq - 11 o'clock
    Treb - 12 o'clock
    Drive - 9 o'clock

mids in "normal 0" position..should i try boosting them..

also i have learnt that to have the full effect of the 4x10 u have to be well away from it..

what settings would use to get a heavy but punchy sound used to alt indie/hardcore/rock

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It looks to me like you have to much bass. Try setting everything flat and turn up the volume instead. Dial in your sound while your band is playing. It might sound strange while playing alone but its the sound in the mix that matters.

5. Indeeed..

i might try setting everything to the 12 0'clock position and add and cut where its needed..

i bassically followed the pre-sets in the manual but they are all a matter of taste i guess....

also....ive changed the valve in the head with a Groove Tube 12ATK.... a big inprovment...

Bernie at GB who sold me the amp said that he shouldnt really tell me this but if u add a groove tube you get a warm distorted sound..

he was right...i believe the 12ATK in there at the moment is nothing really specially looks like a standard ampeg valve...almost every ampeg user i know has switched to Groove Tubes...:)

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I couldn't agree more!:D

7. If you add an extra cab, like the ebs 15H you can add all the bass you want.

I recently bought the ebs td650 with the 410 and it didn't produce enough volume in gigging situations, I play in low B most of the time, and It sounded like the 410 couldn't handle it, So I added the 15H and now it sounds like twice as much the volume and it has all the bass I need.

Grtz. Rich

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a fafner also..i love it..with my genz 2x10 and aggie 1x12..it is plenty loud for a loud gig sit...one triple rec and one dual rec. a singer and a drummer..no prob..i don't even go passed 12 on the volume and 9 or 10 on the gain

hope you enjoy it as much as me

steve

9. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I found the low boost switch unuseful when I had Fafner. It gives 10dB of boost that was way too much, at least with a Glock 4x10".

ps. If you can't hear yourself, turn the drive knob ;)

10. As you probably can remember I had similar questions about the power of the Fafner.

The eq is incredible powerfull and versatile that I needed some time to get me the right settings. With my previous amp the sounds was no matter what settings horrible so the decision was lot easier then....

Last weekend I had a gig and the sound of my Yammer TRB 5P was never as good as then.

There are a couple of things that are importent IMO:
    1) I place the 410 about 50cm (20"?) of the ground.
    2) My settings at a live gig are usualy different than when playing at home or at rehearsals. I put the mids about 2 oclock. This increasis the audibility significant.
    3) The drive gives the amp the desired power.

My settings from then are in the pic.
    Lo and Hi are both in.

11. Why this high compessor setting? This reduces the dynamics incredible I would say...

12. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The compressor in Fafner is quite subtle even at max. The knob alters compression ratio and at maximum it is 3:1. No biggie.

13. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Huge low boost, high boost and mid boost :)
    What cab are you using? I only used the bass control of Fafner and it was at 2 o'clock at max.

14. Maybe I have a different Fafner (Which is the latest) but I can't imagine that someone is playing with comp. set to max. Far from subtle IMO. But maybe a matter of taste.

I agree, usualy I put the mids on 10 oclock but on certain gigs I increase the mid's. Also could increase the volume but this sounds better to me.

I play with an EBS410.

15. Thank you soo much for all your replys thus far..had a practice today and tried everything flat and boosted my bass to full...(not my usual GB sadley thats in the workshop using stoopid marcus miller) and boosted the mids and bass and it sounded a lot better...

i am considering getting another EBS cab..but i also need a new bass and so0on,,,(marcus miller goin up for sale just not happy with it) so its a compramise...

might get a cab riser made..i know this always helps a lot...or even some casters

still need to experiment i think