1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Valvedrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nutadactyl, Apr 3, 2009.

1. nutadactyl

nutadactyl

Aug 15, 2008
    I've been searching for just a little bit of distortion when the bass gives a lot of output, like when i hit a string particularly hard, or a chord, or what have you. Pretty much like you would if you were playing through a guitar tube head with a teeny bit of gain. I've tried using a few overdrive pedals, but I can almost get what I want, but then I turn it off and realize how much warmth and bass tone the pedals cut. I'm just looking for a subtle overdrive that doesn't cut my low end so much. I have a GK 1001-rbII and a bass with EMG's. What are your thoughts on the ebs (I've used the multidrive ebs with tubesim, that was the closest I got, but it cut too much, is this any better?) or have any suggestions that aren't rediculous?

2. nodisco

nodisco

Dec 9, 2007
    Estonia
    I'm planning to buy myself Valvedrive this month.
    Very fat, full-sounding pedal, in my opinion.
    When I tried it in shop through solidstate amp, I was very impressed.

3. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    +1 for this thread: hope to get good answers

in the meanwhile (even if i've never tried it): maybe Xotic BB Preamp could make our day?

Michele

4. Listen Cream pie clips from wiki. Me luv CP.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Check out the DHA VT1 also.

6. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'd say get the valvedrive- you won't regret it. My setup is spector (w/emg's) into a variety of pedals, then into 2 GK 800rb's. The valvedrive is always on, and it is by far the best pedal I've ever bought. It adds just enough grit (in the modern channel) without sucking out any low end or mids or making it too trebly. The "vintage" channel gives a pretty good "fuzz-like" sound (think Geezer), but I really don't use it much.

7. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    +1 to everything Gasman said! That's my opinion/experience exactly - especially the difference between the modern & vintage modes.

After owning many od's (I still have a few of them), the Valve Drive gave me exactly what I wanted for a responsive lower-gain od. It can wail at higher gain settings, but it sounds so absolutely natural & big when on the modern setting with just a touch of grit!!!

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Now THAT'S what I've been looking for!

9. I also own a ebs valve drive and that's the best overdrive for bass you can get. It doesn't cut bass at all whatever the level of distortion you need. And it does a really nice tube preamp for any solid state power amp even if you don't want distortion.

10. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    the perfect thing would be a pedal like Xotic RC Bass Booster (absolutely crystal clear and transparent) + the ability to give some grit...if valvedrive do this than...it makes my day

i've to say that i also own a bass juice: it's great..but it's not what we're talking about

maybe Bogdan PL? (i'll try it this evening for the first time)

11. nutadactyl

nutadactyl

Aug 15, 2008
    Anyone have any sound clips from this?

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No clip, but my search for bass o/d ended with the Valve Drive. Amazingly natural sounding, if just a tad large in size.

13. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
  14. Nothing for me to say that someone hasn't already said.

The valvedrive is insane, mine is always on too, and adds just the right amount of grit.

15. themadpiper

themadpiper This is CAKETOWN!!

Jun 25, 2008
    Pascagoula, MS
    I really want one now...

16. Hagelslag

Hagelslag

Dec 19, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I got one too, awesome pedal. I use it with a LMII for the same reason as you, just a little bit of grit. Even boosting the gain to halfway won't really destroy the low end and sound very bad**s.

But: As I'm looking on the markbass website, I stumble onto this:

http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=6&vedi=125

A (presumably tube) distortion with a highpass filter that applies distortion only to the high end, leaving your low end clean. I'm seriously gassing for this now.

But really, the Valvedrive is awesome and you should definately check it out.