economical recorder - just for my sounds

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by crios, Apr 25, 2018.

1. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    can anyone recommend an economic digital recorder for me. something to just backup my music; for archiving my personal sounds and to NOT be heard by others. a gadget/machine where i can plug in my guitar/bass and recorder my rhythms/lines easily and on the go. my sounds recorded just for reference. something simple. thanks.

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    For a portable, standalone recorder, I like the Tascam DR-40.

If you're an iPhone or iPad user, Apple's GarageBand software is pretty neat. However, you'd need to purchase a suitable interface such as IK Multimedia's iRig 2. And because the iPhone 7 did away with the headphone jack, you'd need to purchase another device such as a Lightning Dock to regain that functionality.

Badwater likes this.
  3. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    I just found a Rolland VSR 880 digital 8 Track Recorder locally; used for just $150! Do I get it? Is it a good one? I do not need a superior recorder, just one for private recordings- my songs.

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If the Roland fits your needs, go for it. Just know up-front that the VSR-880's technology – a 6GB internal hard drive connected via SCSI – is now 15+ years old and comparatively ancient by modern standards. If the unit craps out on you, unless you're handy with a multimeter and a soldering iron, your odds of getting it repaired are slim at best.

5. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Hand held Zoom or Tascam with instrument inputs

6. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks GARP for the heads-up. Too old.

7. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    How about Marantz PMD660 Portable Solid State Recorder? I am not too sure if it is a multi-track device though.
    aumzpmd660.jpg

8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Marantz builds quality stuff. But yeah, the PMD660 isn't a multitrack recorder – it's the sort of ENG device you occasionally see on TV being thrust into someone's face by pesky reporters ("Senator, for the record: Are you officially denying that you brought an underage girl back to your hotel room last August?")

9. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    No you need a multi track recorder?

I got a Soundcraft ui12 mixer used for $300 CAD. Mind you that was a great deal and the only I’ve seen.

It can record stereo to a USB stick. It also has great EQ, effects and compression. You can run in whatever mic or line signal you want. You can play back the USB recording and track over it creating a new track. Multi track would be a lot better but for simple needs it’s fantastic. By the time you spend $150 on a used H4N recorder may as well spend $300 - $400 for something with a hell of a lot more functionality.

10. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    It is HIGHLY likely that I will choose the Tascam DP-008EX Portastudio (Multitrack) Digital Recorder! But I'm still open for new suggestion before making a final choice.

multitrack.jpg

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do you already own an iPod, iPad, or laptop computer? Because you can put Garage Band on any of these and get either a simple input adapter or a nicer audio interface and record right to your device and store either there or in the cloud.

12. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    No, I am not an Apple user. Sucks.

13. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    I just won an eBay auction for a Tascam DP-008EX Portastudio Multitrack Digital Recorder. I will use that device for my recording needs. Thanks guys for all your input.

:thumbsup: