Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Nemesis Combos Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I'm interested in buying an Eden Nemesis Combo, either the 4x10 or the 2x10. I'd appreciate any opinions on the amps before I go ahead! To my ears they lacked abit of definition when played solo but would sound great in a band. Thanks in advance.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I tried a couple at the local shop after reading glowing reviews on all bass websites. One was the 2x10, the other was 1x15. Both were new.
    Pro's: Plenty of power, nicely portable.
    Con's: Couldn't dial in a single useful tone. Many of the unit's controls didn't seem to affect the sound at all.

In all fairness, I gave each about a 5 minute shot, but if I can't get good tone in 5 minutes, something's wrong.
    The shop guy was no help. Lost interest.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I played one of the 410 versions in a music store locally and thought it sounded pretty good. Surprising to me because I like tubes in the preamp section. I'd consider owning one for backup or if I wanted a one-piece amp solution.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've had an Eden Nemesis NC200 (1x15, 200 watts) for around 5 years now, think the unit is 10 years old total. Beautiful tone, you can do absolutely anything you want with the eq, and the parametric eq is incredibly versatile. Great all-arounder.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I had the 2x10. I hated the way the cab was tuned. If ou're a low volume, 5 string playin' nu-metal guy - it might be right up your alley. The cab sounds like it goes very deep. What you're actually hearing is a lack of mids. That no-definition thing you were mentioning - How is that going to be valuable in a band setting ? On the other hand, I thought the head portion of the rig was pretty cool and well thought out. Go Figure. At 200 watts it isn't exactly a fire breater though.

For reference only, I play mostly finger style with a very little slap 'n pop. I'm in a roots rock/blues/rock 'a billy/ surf/ jazz jam kind of setting (can you say "looking for an identity ?" I knew you could...) and I'm playing J's or PJ's for the most part. I canget there easily with GK. I dont thinkthe Nemesis 2x10 would go there period. The 1x15 might ...

6. In my experience, there is some equipment that sounds good when you're playing by yourself and practicing but does not sound good in the context of a band when you're playing alongside other instruments. The Nemesis sounded pretty deep to my ears at the expense of a definition. In my opinion it had a very supportive quality to the sound but it is not a good amp for playing solo bass stuff because of a lack of fidelity.

7. Have you checked out the silver series combos?? I've been really impressed by mine.. Let me know if you have any questions

8. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i love mine...
    [​IMG]
    i've had it for a few months now - i got a great tone with everything flat but with a bit of enhance (the magic knob :D )

highly recommended...

9. Hey Resol, another Sydney sider. Where did you buy your amp?

10. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    from Guitar Factory in Parramatta...i got em down to $1190, but i think i cud have got it lower...but they got me a brand new one out of the box, so that was cool of 'em

depending on what you play, you should get a nice sound out of em - i play a musicman SUB - like the recent Bassplayer review, i think it sounds better wit active basses.

just remember it's only a 250w combo... :D , but a damn good one at that...

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I think we are coming to the same place but from different perspectives. To me the Nemesis actually sounded very deep and rich in a solo setting. Problem is that it came at the expense of clarity. Basically a woof with no real punch.

IMO in a band setting that's going to conflict with the kick, floor tom, low end of the kbd's, etc ... So my ear tells me that the Nemesis would be great in a singer/song-writer, acoustic setting where there is no drummer and the bass needs to carry the whole bottom. In a percussive rock situation, it would be lost...

12. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    hmmm...you're sorta right - i recently used it with PA support with a loud drummer, VERY loud lead guitarist - initally had problems cutting thru but them with some eq'ing i cud hear myself pretty nicely...

13. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    but in a lower volume setting - same band by the way - but with everyone a tad quieter, it was sounding pretty nice and projected nicely too

PADRE STANDING BEAR likes this.
  14. stacystarkweath

stacystarkweath

Aug 11, 2005
    I have used my 2x10 combo on the road and in the studio for over 10 years. Recently have had some problems with some erratic circuitry (appears to be a thermal protection fault) that two trips to the factoy have not solved, but other than that it has been flawless. Mine is the 200 watter, so I have a little wedge built for it so if I am going through a PA, I put that amp in front of me or to the side of me and use is strictly as a monitor. The DI out sound has been a favorite of every soundman I have ever sent the signal to.
    My suggestions:
    If you are looking for a big sounding rock amp-probably not for you (at least in the 2x10 configuration)
    If you want versatile, light, reliable and sweet sounding for a variety of gigs...try it out!

15. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’ve had an NC210 for about 6 years. For small clubs and rehearsals it’s hard to beat. For a while I was using it with a Nemesis 115 extension cab. That rig was surprisingly loud, yet still really easy to transport. I don’t find that it’s particularly deep unless I use the 115. I also don't find that it lacks mids, but I almost always leave the enhance knob all the way down. This control gives a great solo / low volume tone, but the way it scoops the mids it really kills your ability to cut through the mix in most band settings that I’ve played in. I find the single band semi-parametric EQ really useful for getting a decent tone in almost any room. Its light weight/small size isn’t that big a deal anymore, but when I got it people were continually amazed at how good such a little amp could sound.

- John

16. PADRE STANDING BEAR

PADRE STANDING BEAR Padre & DeepSixx

Mar 20, 2015
    Richland Ctr, Wi
    "some problems with some erratic circuitry (appears to be a thermal protection fault)" I play metal now. . . which sadly if I played Bossa Nova, I can't stand the momentARY CUTTING OUT which is why I haven't listed it for sale here. . . but I *do* have some things I will try perhaps. . . if it's got an issue, I don't wanna mess with selling. They just collect dust in my music boneyard. . .

17. Well since this thread got necro-bumped...

I've had a Nemesis 410 combo and 210 combo since '07. (as well as the Nemesis 212 cab). I thought they sat great in a mix - used it for many gigs. Dialed in a pretty flat "baseline" eq and then tweaked the para-mids.

Funny enough I don't prefer the tone by itself - I'd rare use the amps at home. Not deep enough or something. There's definitely something in the cab tuning. But it sat great in my rock band.

I found the 410 combo sounded best (not surprisingly, the 410 just sounds fuller/deeper than the 210). For bigger gigs, I'd daisy (pre-eq) the 210 and 410 in to a 610 stack, and then dial the 410s in with more lows and run more mids through the 210 for clarity. The joys of running two fully separate amps!

I've used the 212 cab for some gigs with my Shuttle, but again that cab tuning just didn't do much for me. In the case of the 212, I felt it was leaving a lot of tone in the amp, so to say. (much prefer my Aguilar 212, though the Nemesis is super light by comparison)

Not sure why this thread was bumped...?