Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT550 Eq suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blizzard, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Hi people, I just bought a WT550 and have had very limited playing time on it as of yet. I am loving the sound (its a step up from my behringer ;)), but I have a jazz gig on it tomorrow night and so I am asking for eq settings that other Eden users use for this amp (you can include other eq settings not just ones for jazz). Also just to let you know I am running it through a 112 at the moment and will be using a 4 string.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. hmmm, well, as far as I know the vast majority of people use all the eq set flat, with a tad enhancer added... from there, some might add/subtract one or two clicks of individual frequency bands, but the eden is not a head to use drastic eq settings on IMO

3. Ad, I knew you'd buy the Eden ;) How much did Guy set you back for it?

4. $2000, I'm happy with it, blew everything else away.

5. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Everything flat with the enhance at 9:00 for gigging, 3:00 for solo practice. I may tweak a little when playing out but not much of anything.

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Run it flat with no more than 9 o clock enhance. I tend to boost at 120hz and 1.2khz a couple of clicks to make me more present in the mix when required.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    $2000?!?!?! Oh, wait - Aussie Pesos. Nevermind.

;)

8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Relatively flat is the way to go. It has a very sensitive eq, so if you want to change anything then a few clicks should do it. Enhance will kill your mids aka cut-through so use it carefully.
    Have fun with the eden!

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    As everyone else has said, almost flat is the way to go with an Eden. Use just a little enhance (maybe 9 oclock), and tweak based on the room just a little with the EQ, and you'll be good to go.

10. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    For jazz, I'd probably just leave it flat. I do sometimes make adjustments depending on the cab I'm using, though. I had a GS112 that I felt needed the lows cut and sometimes extra mids with a loud group.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    As everyone has mentioned...start out flat as most of the time flat is darn near perfect.

If you have to do any "tweaking", you'll be amazed at how little you need to turn those knobs. Even the slightest deviation from flat will make a huge difference. Eden give new meaning to the term "tweaking" because that's all you have to do...just a bit of it goes a long way.

By comparison, I'd say that just a single click on any control is the equivalent of almost half a turn on another amp's controls. That's how much leeway you get with Eden tone control.

Mess around with each of the controls by yourself to get familiar with what they do. Having the manual handy the first time through is helpful too, especially if you aren't very familiar with EQ'ing a head.

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I agree 100% with what everyone else has said. Very small turns of the knobs! Too much enhance does not "enhance" the sound!

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dont use the enhance knob

and read the manual, talks about how to get a good sound. just cut or boost, and spin the frequency knobs, then play, wash, rinse, repeat, until you hear something good.

the Eden line has one of the best EQ sections on the market, and it'd be a shame not to use it.

14. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    bump...

the eden description of setting the EQ is right on the money. semiparametrics can be confusing, but read the manual and if you don't have a manual you can get a PDF from www.eden-electronics.com

have fun and congratulations on a great amp!!!

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say set it flat, and use the enhance knob sparingly, if at all.

16. Thanks for the replies, I have read the manual and have tried waht it suggests. I was just wondering what people use in band settings because I won't be able to try it in a band before this gig.

17. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    my limited experience with eden amps in live situations, i have always run them flat (through eden cabs)... however, the secret to the eden xlt (speaker cabs) cut is a bump at 550hz...

18. Without knowing what your bass sounds like, it is almost impossible to say what sort of EQ to use.

Generally, with the Eden WT amps, it is best to start with everything flat, set at 12:00, except the Enhance, which should be off. I find that the totally flat Eden tone is a bit too mid-heavy, and that 8:00-9:00 on the Enhance sounds good to me. If that isn't quite what you want, then EQ to taste....

If your bass or the room has anomalies, you can adjust the semi-parametric to compensate.

19. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    hey mate.. where did you buy it?

20. paulverio

paulverio

Jan 25, 2006
    Canuck Land
    personally, i set mine flat. And like what Munji said, I use the Enhance knob sparingly, if at all.

I got this from the Eden forum. This will make it easier for you to figure out which frequency band to boost/cut to get the sound you're looking for.

[​IMG]

*note: ignore the eq setting on the pic