Edgar Meyer compositions/Arrangements

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Chrix, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Ok...I'm feeling extremely ambitious...does anyone know where one can obtain any of Edgar's arrangements, if they are in fact obtainable? Particularly his arrangement of Pablo de Sarasate's 'Zigeunerweisen'...or anything else.
  2. kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    I have seen his Concerto in the local university's library . . . it is crazy. There doesn't seem to be much of his music out there, does he even use sheet music? I have heard that Edgar prefers to use ears and not paper, but no guarentees.
  3. zaghy

Mar 1, 2003
    i live in serbia and montenegro and i can't even imagine where to even start searching for such exotic music!
    if it were not soulseek :(

where do you study, kontrabass? i'm also very interrested in finding mr. meyer's work. hope that it's europe. :)
  4. I thought i saw an Edger Meyer version of Carmen Fantasy in my local music store. I'll call them and see where they orderd it from.
  5. zaghy

Mar 1, 2003
    OK, now i'm officialy DESPERATE! :ninja:

I want to play Meyer/YoYoMa's Duet For Cello and Bass, please help me, anyone, anyhow, anywhere.

... hope somebody can. :hyper:
  6. rscconrad

Apr 26, 2004
    I saw the Edgar Miles Chris Thile conert Saturday night. I was blown away.

7. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    We got to check out Ed in rehersal with Orpheus when I was studying at J-ard last year, and he uses sheet music. I'm pretty sure that its not published because he probably wants to be the only one playing it right now.
  8. anonymous092513

Mar 11, 2005
    i would love to get edgar meyer's arrangements. especally of his bach suites - they sound beautiful. he is an awesome bassist and im dying to meet him
  9. tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    *weep* and and and he is doing a clinic and concert less than an hour away from me tonight, and there is a raging blizzard and the roads suck *weep*

woe is me, etc etc
  10. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    WOW thanks alot for that link - it's great to SEE music that was arranged if not co-composed by edgar. Unfortunately Mr. Meyer doesn't publish his own compositions. He wants it to remain only played by him, which is understandable, if somewhat selfish. :(
  11. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I read an interview with Ed recently where he said that the reason that he didn't publish things like his concerto, which are obviously in great demand, is because he doesn't think that it is something that could be widely performed. Its sort of difficult to explain without having the article in front of me to quote from. But it seemed that his point was that he requires so much control when playing his own music that he doesn't feel that it is something that could be performed by other players.

He also noted that a lot of the nuances in his playing aren't really possible to notate. I think it would probably come out looking like Druckman's Valentine.
  12. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I agree completely...I would love to get my hands on it. Its a really interesting variation on the use of folk idioms in classical music.
  13. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Does anyone know where I can get the double bass concerto? Is it even published?
  14. I asked him about the possibility of publishing some things, including his concerto, and he said he was considering releasing it in a few years. He said he's been playing it so much since he wrote it in 1993, he's ready to move on.