1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Edit' buttons missing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Thor, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I lost all of the pictures in this DIY cabinet rebuild thread
    during the last upgrade as they were stored in the
    TB Gallery. As you recall, those pics were all lost.

I wanted to restore the pictures of the cabinet
    rebuild, but there are no 'Edit' buttons available
    to me on my posts to add the pictures back to each
    associated post.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174767&page=1&pp=40

Can you fix that? That is pretty weird!

Thanks
    T

2. Thor

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Yes - there's a 30-day time limit on post editing... If you want to send me the URL's for the DIY thread, I'll see if I can't make the edits.

4. Thor

Is that new since the last upgrade? What is the logic behind that, out of curiosity?

That's going to take you a while, there was maybe 30
    plus pictures on the DIY build thread. It was actually
    a very good, informative thread (as opposed to my usual
    worthless posts).

I have to go back and reconstruct which pictures were
    where.

Is the gallery working again? That is where I originally
    hosted the pics. If so I guess I can repost them there
    and copy the URL's for you with a post number for each series
    and email that to you.

This is going to take me some time to fix. I wonder if I am
    better off asking you to make them attachments.

Thanks
    Thor

EDIT: The URL is in my sig. But I still need to make the pics available again.

5. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    30 day limit is for security reasons, and to prevent potential abuse.

If there are 30+ pictures, it might be easiest to create a new thread, and copy/paste the text out of the old thread. The old gallery is not up.

6. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Paul, I'm not sure that the 30 day time limit is such a good idea. For instance, if a supporting member has a piece of gear for sale, it doesn't sell within 30 days, and the member wants to edit the top (first) post with a lower price, or new pictures, or whatever- you can't. You have to do a reply, which puts that information on down in the thread. That's an inconvenience to TB'ers reading the thread, because then they have to scroll down to get the current price and information- which should all be in the first post.

Also, now we can't delete a thread in the classifieds, we can only close it. That's not good, because of the above. One way to re-list or update a piece of gear for sale with the 30-day edit limit would be to delete the old thread and start a new one with the updated terms. We can't delete the old thread. Some older threads get pretty encumbered with replies, "PM sent"s, and so on- and it would be nice, after a while, to delete it and start over.

Finally, it'd be good if we could edit the actual thread title. That way, we could put the asking price in the title, say. If we update the listing with a lower price, we could edit the title and say "New lower price" or whatever, so it'd be more eye-catching.

At least in the classifieds, you should remove the 30-day edit limit, allow thread deletions, and allow editing of thread titles.

Also, it might be good to allow a title edit when the thread is closed when the gear sells- then the sale price could be put in to allow faster scanning of recent gear prices without opening the threads and reading each one.

What say you?

7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas

Michael,

I feel the 30-day limit on post editing is an important restriction in general, for security reasons, on the general forums. If I could exempt the Classifieds from this rule I would, but it's a forum-wide setting given our current infrastructure.

If your item doesn't sell in 30 days, and you want to change the ad, I'd suggest PM'ing a mod to delete the thread, and reposting.

A couple things that may help: You can lock your thread (if sold) by simply double-clicking on the thread envolope icon. And, you can edit your thread title by simply double-clicking next to your thread's title (but not on the actual text hyperlink). These features are only available if you're using a modern browser (latest IE or Firefox).

Paul