1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects, Amp Sim, extra cab?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shaunkara, Jun 22, 2007.

1. shaunkara

shaunkara

Mar 8, 2007
    Hi,

First post here so I hope you'll forgive me for any blunders as I'm still getting used to the forums here.

I use a Trace 350Watts with a 400Watts Cabinet 2x15. I find that this gives me a lot of strong low end but I'm seriously lacking in mids and highs. My playing is very varied from throttling and sustain fill notes to tapping, runs and harmonics.

My question is, what would be a good solution for pushing the mids and highs? Should I consider adding a horn, or maybe a horn and tweeters combo? Should I work with an external equalizer such as an E.Q rack? Or should I try an amp simulator (or multi-fx for that matter) such as a V-Amp (to name one) and simulate say a 4x10 cabinet? Think that would work well with my 2x15? There are probably other solutions which haven't crossed my mind yet either. If so please feel free to suggest.

As far as multi-fx are concerned I've been looking mainly at the Boss GT-6b and the Korg AX3000b and trying to find reviews that will compare them. I'm finding myself leaning more towards the Boss but I'm open to argument even concerning other multi-fx.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Take care :)

2. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    WELCOME TO TALKBASS!

(note: i cannot contribute to this thread, so i just decided to welcome you)

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Welcome, I'm not sure if you're looking for speakers or effects. I have a Zoom B2, Trace amp, 1x15 and 1x12 cabs and in my experience the cabinet simulation does not sound good through a real cabinet. I think it's there for DI, recording, headphones, etc. It sounds unclear through my cabs. I think there are cabs designed for modeling but I don't know much about it. I like the B2 and some of it's amp models. I play it through my rig with the speaker simulation off.
    As for speakers, I would maybe suggest adding a pair of 10's or something. I don't care for horns or tweeters that I've played through. I'm not even crazy about 10's but maybe if you've already got 2x15 you might want 2x10 to balance. I'm really happy with 1x15 an 1x12. They seem to compliment each other and give me a nice solid bottom and a really full even midrange.
    Anyway, I suspect that you might be happier with different or more speakers than with speaker simulation.

4. shaunkara

shaunkara

Mar 8, 2007
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies and warm welcome :smug:

What is it exactly that puts you off the horns, tweeters and 10's? I'm looking for pointers that I should look out for since shops in Malta usually don't like to lend gear for testing. As far as multi-fx, I feel I still need one for certain parts of my playing, but at least now I know that it's not something that will single-handedly solve my problem.

Thanks

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What does your EQ look like?

6. shaunkara

shaunkara

Mar 8, 2007
    I've a 7-band EQ with EQ tone knob (usually centered) and 2 pre-shapes (which I keep switched off). I push the mids and low mids. The highs and lows i keep more centered as they come across too strongly. When I push the highs the sound lacks intensity, it becomes too "clangy". I'm looking mainly for a solid sound with a growl but looking to cut through the mix and avoid the overpowering "woof" I'm getting. I'm planning on playing around with placement too as it's probably affecting me too.

PS I'll try to post a picture of my EQ asap

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Part of this discussion probably belongs in the amp forum but...
    First I have to say that I haven't tried a whole lot of cabinets so my experience is quite limited. Years ago I tried some 4x10 cabs, Peavey and Hartke I believe and they were way too bright and lacked a solid, warm low end that the 1x15 had. I think I tried a 2x10 along with the 15 and it seemed to just add too much treble that I didn't want. The tweeters on these cabs just made hissing noise. I've since tried out a Hartke rig with paper cones that I liked better it was a 1x15 and a 4x10. But who wants to drag all that around? My 1x12 does a really nice job by itself. I was going to sell my 1x15 but I hooked them up together out of curiosity and wow! But I don't plan to drag the 15 around as my only current band is an acoustic trio.

8. shaunkara

shaunkara

Mar 8, 2007
    You're probably right, it does seem to be flowing in that direction. In fact earlier today I hopped over to one of the local music shops and had a lengthy discussion with the salesman, who also happens to be a bass player. He suggested the extra speakers as a solution and offered that I drop by for a private session to try out different combos to decide what I like and "educate" my ear as to how each combo works. I'll probably drop by next week to try them out. I'll keep you posted as to how it works out.

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    My 2 cents: Cab sim is only really useful through a flat system. Like a home stereo (set to flat obviously), a PA, or something like a Berg IP series cab. Or one of the Roland D-Bass series, depending on budget.

10. why not add a 210 cab sell of the head and get a power pre setup? this seems (to me) like the best solution. why not get a pre with the amp and cab simulations, like the bass v-amp pro and get a power amp to suit your needs.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021