Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects for starters . . .

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eric1977, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    Hi All,
    Just thinking if getting some effects to mess about with while I practice . . . .never really used much before so was wondering if any of you guys would have an idea of what's good, I have a JD Wah, looking at maybe an overdrive pedal and a flanger, compressor . . . .

Thanks,

Eric

2. Since your're just starting out with effects, I don't think you need to consider a compressor. It's affect on your tone isn't 'weird' and it's more of a tool for dynamics control.

Overdrive? Do you like distorted bass? If not, then I'd say no. But with a wah, distortion is an obvious choice because wah'd distortion is pretty cool.

"Special Effects" are what I assume you're thinking about, and there's flanger, chorus, phaser, envelope filter, synth, delay, tremolo, and reverb.

If you don't know what you want, either get a cheap multi-effect pedal that has all of these effects in one box, or go to the music store and plug into their demo pedal boards and see what you like.

3. Get the Boss ME50B you get Boss quality effects all in one box and its a good price, tuner included etc etc.

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Where you get this and how much is it?

5. HawkBoyXVI

HawkBoyXVI Hairbrained Schemer

Oct 25, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Yea, the ME50 is great for starters. But be warned that once you start learning more about effects, you'll look at it with dismay, like a red-headed step-child with a gimp leg. Multieffects are good for starting out, but you'll quickly want to get rid of them.

You can buy it just about anywhere for somewhere in the neighbourhood of $300, I believe.