1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects loop pickle.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bearshark, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bearshark

bearshark

Nov 9, 2010
    Not sure where to post this question, but here goes:
    My main project right now is a duo that uses rc50 loop stations to create layerd/textured music. I have a setup issue and i'm not sure where to turn for advice.
    The issue is this: If I run my bass directly into the amp, then through the effects loop into the rc50 and back, I cannot control the volume of something once it is looped because its returning directly into the power amp. I can run directly into the loopstation, then into the amp so that I can adjust volumes, but to keep in sinc we wear headphones from the rc50s so we can hear the click track, and then eachother once a song begins, and if I dont use the effects loop I dont hear the tone my amp is giving me. Not a huge deal I guess but hard to get rocking when all I hear is a flat line of my bass.
    Also I was told that running a pedal between my bass and my amp instead of in the effects loop is not ideal. Why?
    Looking at a wt400 right now and apparently the effects loop is pre-tone controls, does this mean I can change volume of something thats been looped? But then I still have the lack of tone in my headphones thing. HELP!
    wow, this is a long post.

2. bearshark

bearshark

Nov 9, 2010
    My buddy just got a sunn guitar amp with effects send and return levels which seems to solve the problem, anybody seen anything like this for bass?

3. Whoever told you this is just wrong.

Pedals are designed to be run between your Bass and the amp.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    All that means is that the tone of your effected signal will be shaped by the eq of the amp, same as if you had the pedal running in front of the input instead of in an isolated loop.

As far as needing more volume on the loop, if you can't turn it up on the pedal itself you may want to look into a boost pedal before your loop, that way when you're looping a part it's at a slightly higher volume and is then able to standout when playing other parts.

I'm not sure who, if anyone, makes a bass amp with a volume level for the effects loop, but that sounds like something that would solve your issue.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, but he's right nonetheless. If you run your looper in line between your instrument and amp, every time you overdub your hitting your preamplifier with that much more signal throwing your input gain out of whack.

6. bearshark

bearshark

Nov 9, 2010
    If this is the case then why even have an effects loop?

Are there pros and cons to running effects before or after your amp models the sound?

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Effects loops are useful for equalizers, pre-amp/power-amp connectivity, etc.

8. For rack-mount/studio type stuff.

9. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    if you run an effect through the effect loop, and its a parallel effects loop WITH ITS OWN VOLUME CONTROL then your existing bass sound will not be affected by the pedal. the pedal sound would be layered on top of your original bass sound and controlled by its own volume.
    example:EDEN NAVIGATOR PRE AMP
    EA IAMP 800 (without tuner model)

10. bearshark

bearshark

Nov 9, 2010
    Got ya. Anyone know of any others with this feature?
    I have a B15t that has two effects loops and one of them runs post eq and returns just before the master volume. This works perfect because I get to hear the modeled bass tone in the headphones from the rc50 but I still get to adjust volume even after its been looped.

11. kosmofunkbotP

kosmofunkbotP

Nov 16, 2010
    Nashville
    you cant control the volumes of your samples,tracks, or layers outside of the loop pedal. use ur foot to control the input level knob on the right side of the looper... thats the only way you can change sample volumes inbetween adding new layers

12. bearshark

bearshark

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm not looking to control the volume of individual tracks or samples outside the loop pedal. I'm looking to be able to adjust the overall volume of my amp(live playing and signal recieved from the loop station).
    If I run the effects loop my master is before the loop station so once something is looped I cannot change volume. If its to quiet for a certain song I have to delete the loop, turn up the amp, hope to get the right volume and recreate the loop. If my effects loop was post eq and pre master volume I could do it on the fly like on the b15. It looks like the eden navigator would work but its a bit pricey.

13. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The first thing to do is to remove the pickle from your effects loop. Pickles are a notorious tone suck ;)

14. bearshark

bearshark

Nov 9, 2010
    I only use dill.