1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects order...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Plookie, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    How would you put these pedals in order of best output from them? A1A1 pedalboard.

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I would go Tri-Logic > OC-3 > Envelope Filter > Unichorus > DI. The octaver should be close to your bass in the chain for best tracking, but the Tri-Logic is supposed to be pretty transparent so you should be okay with it first (I'd experiment with the placement to see if it makes a difference). The DI should go last so all of your effects go to front-of-house.

The placement of the filter relative to the chorus is all a matter of taste - I prefer the filter first, but try both!

3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    The way I think about octave pedals. Which is part of my original tone. I'd go: octave - preamp - filter - chorus - DI.

If you think of octave as an effect on top of your original sound. Then you'd go: preamp - octave - filter - chorus - DI.

Not really anymore options between those two. But those two options are both valid.

4. Generally speaking octave pedals like to go first, so I'd start with that. You can run it later in the chain, but if it doesn't track well or otherwise gets fussy, move it to the first spot.

DI should go last so that the signal from it contains all of the effects in your chain.

Otherwise, it is pretty much personal preference and experimentation - play around and see what works for you.

5. riccalioliojr

riccalioliojr

Dec 16, 2017
    This is kind of tricky because the best set-up for me would be [bass]-[filter]-[tri-logic]-[amp]-(effects loop)-[octave]-[chorus], and the MXR DI is removed. To send the signal to a mixer, I would either mic the amp or use the amp's XLR out if it has one.