Effects suggestions for indie pop/rock?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tannerwr64, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Tannerwr64

Tannerwr64

Oct 12, 2016
    So for the past year or so I've been the bassist for a four piece band (bass drums two guitars) and we started out as sort of a bluesy pop rock but have since honed our sound to a more indie pop/rock, using some synth and drum pad occasionally. I'm looking for effects that can help me get a good bass sound that will make things interesting and be useable in different situation. For reference, bass sounds I really like are anything from The 1975, The Neighborhood, Kings of Leon, Twenty One Pilots, Walk the Moon etc. All I have is a tuner pedal and a delay I have yet to use with bass (I play guitar as well). I have been eyeing a deluxe bass big muff but I'm not sure I'd be able to apply it often. Also slightly interested in sansamp. Just generally looking for suggestions to achieve sounds like these! Also for reference this is a demo of one of our originals

We are writing some more chill songs currently
    THANKS!

2. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Id probably start with a mf-102 into a ehx microsynth and then stack fuzzes from there. Maybe layer them in order from muff to superfuzz. Id personally go pickle, tafm then buzzz. Your going to need an octave in there somewhere too, oc2 maybe?

3. Tannerwr64

Tannerwr64

Oct 12, 2016
    I've definitely thought about the EHS BMS, unfortunately I'm not in the position to spend that much money right now

4. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Get a bank loan.

5. I'm not familiar with too many of those bands (just KoL and WtM), but I do know that bassline in "Shut up and Dance" definitely has overdrive on it, so maybe start with a good drive and a good synth or fuzz.

6. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    I'd start with a solid overdrive with good low end. You have so many choices there. Fuzzrocious and Dr. Scientist have good options, as does SS/BS.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021