1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Chorus Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Jul 27, 2007.

1. After alot of online research (most of it done here on TB!) I've narrowed down my chorus choices..I need something cheap (what a relative word), flexable, and reliable. I've tried a few boss chorus' out, not to impressed. I've never owned EHX stuff but...

How does the EHX small clone compare with the EHX micro clone theory? I'll be using this as major chorus (like Tool on 46&2) as well as a more subtle effect to widen my sound a bit.

Any suggestions/comments/warnings?

I'm gonna try them out sunday probably, just wanted some feedback first

2. also, I'm looking for a tremolo effect - is the clone theory's trem setting good or should I get a completely seperate pedal and if so, which one?

3. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The Clone Theory doesn't have tremolo.

4. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    clone theory doesn't have a trem setting it has a vibrato setting

in case you are confused between the two:

Tremolo: changes in volume

Vibrato: changes in pitch

both follow a LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator)

I didn't like the Clone Theory when I tried it out... I even took it home with me... it wasn't for me! I liked the Boss CH-1 best, gets me a lush deep chorus.

5. ok, thanks for the clarification.
    Im still looking for a tremolo then lol.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I used to own a Small Clone, and when I regretfully sold it, I promised myself I'd get one again later.

Then... the Clone Theory was reissued, and I grabbed that one instead :D

They're very similar in tone - the Small Clone is based on the original Clone Theory. The Clone Theory just has more flexible controls (Depth knob instead of Depth switch, and two different chorus modes). It also has stereo outputs.

It's not tremolo - it's vibrato, which is much different. Vibrato alters pitch, not volume. And on this particular pedal, it will kill the low end if used. It's a strange sound, IMO, but can be cool. Now, if you want a cool, flexible tremolo... try the EHX Pulsar!

I personally love my Clone Theory for its extra flexibility, size, and convenience for powering it (standard 9V Boss-style jack). It really isn't too far off from the Small Clone, though.