1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electra Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Has anyone had any experience with these? I've recently heard of someone getting rid of a bass and all my friend knows is that is an Electra. From what he describes I think it's this one:

Would this be worth picking up? I need another bass like a hole in the head, but if it's decent....

2. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    DAVE, I guess it would depend on how much your gonna pay for it. I have a Scott ( no-name ) Jazz from the 70's Matsu factory like that one that I paid 150.00 for and couldn't be happier.

It is very clean, it sounds excellent, baseball bat bound and blocked neck is very good for it's age, and IF the pups were shielded better, I would actually "use" it for more than a playtoy.

scott.

. heres a pic with both covers removed so you can see the "vintage era" standard pups everyone used back then. This version has no blend knob, but eh..no big deal for a nice looking old, clean beater bass.
    scott8.

3. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    i had an elctra pheonix guitar which played nice but i couldnt help you as far as a bass

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Not a huge fan of those pickups, but as the owner of one Electra, one Electra-Westone, and one Westone, and having previously owned another Electra-Westone, and another Westone, I can tell you that the stuff made in the Matsumoku factory is solid. Never had a neck or electronics issue with any of mine.

Plug it in. Check out the neck and make sure it is straight. If it has a good neck and you dig the sound, get it!

5. I think the current bass guy in Wolfmother plays one of those...

6. The quality of those basses are excellent. IMHO, they would make a perfect Darkstar project.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You know, if it was one of the later ones with the J style pickup, I would call you crazy. But since these humbucker looking single coils don't sound that great, this bass is a great candidate for the Darkstar treatment. I don't think that there are any replacement pickups that would fit the routes anyway, so might as well mod away! Makes me wish I had one to Darkstar.:hyper:

8. ettsn

ettsn

Mar 29, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I've got an old Electra MPC. Kinda a goofy bass, but cool in it's own right. Was my first bass ever, got it used in 1979.