Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electrical design texts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey. Crazy as my hatred is for things like effort, math and work, I've recently seen some sort of lightbulb. Well, not seen so much, that'd be visual hallucinations...

I realized that for all the money people throw into preamps, pedals, amps, and general audio enhancement tools, why not give it a go? After reading thread upon thread about inferior bass distortion, which ring modulator is right for my cat's meowcore band, et. al, as well as my own continual GAS for pretty much all things instrumental, why not try to make a pedal or two myself?

That said, are there any required readings on the subject? Beyond electrical/circuit design and engineering, what is there for specifically aural applications? You don't just make a preamp out of nothing, so, are there any decent texts on the subject? Or should I just dig in to the electrical design stuff, and start applying it to intruments?

Any decent net resources on the subject?

Thanks.

(Man, this post makes it seem so half-assed...)

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Do you have any education in this subject? Electronic design definetly isn't simple. (at least I hope not, or I'm about to waste alot of money in the form of college tuition :D )

As far as audio applications, I'm not aware of any great books, but alot of component manufacturers offer packets of sample applications for their products. I have seen a few that include very simplified versions of Hi-fi preamps and active tone circuits. I also know of a web site run by a guy that does homemade preamps and stuff. I'll see if i can dig up some links.

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nope. But, that's the whole point of learning, innit? Education is a matter of patience and practice. When dealing with something I'm interested in, I've all the time and devotion in the world.

I mean, I don't think I'm suddenly going to make a preamp by December, but I would like to be able to build what's in my head, and doesn't happen to exist in reality. Why not throw down the gauntlet, and better myself, and maybe the musical community while I'm at it?