1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electro Harmonix H.O.G. for bass????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LaMarquis J, Apr 26, 2006.

1. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    Im a efx nut! I admit it. Been checkin out the H.O.G. by EH. Its advertised as a "guitar" synth. Is it sutible for bass frequencys? Anyone????? :confused:

2. i do believe it is...its a very popular box here on tb :)

3. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    ....thinkIbetterGocheckThisthingout...............:ninja:

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i just emailed electro-harmonix with the same question... their reply:

"Hello. The HOG works very well on Bass! We are working on the clips and will have them up soon.
    Thanks for the email.
    Regards,"

straight from the horse's mouth, mang.

5. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    THANX!!!!!:hyper:

6. Coolcow666

Coolcow666 Ribonucleic acid freak out! Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Washington
    They have the HOG listed under bass effects on musicians friend.
    As with most effects, even if they are listed as guitar effects they should work fine on bass. At least half my effects are "guitar" effects. However, I can understand being wary since the HOG costs a mere 500 dollars hah.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=153337

If anyone has already purchased a HOG I would really appreciate a review!

7. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i have the POG... if the HOG is anything like that*, then it RULES, sounds GREAT on bass, and opens up a WHOLE NEW REALM of possibilities.

*- the HOG has the same features as the POG, plus so much more... i know the octave/interval voices kick a$$, i'm just unsure about the filter and expression sections. i'm sure they'll live up to expectation. i have faith. and i'll let everyone know when i get one.

8. I believe the filter is just like the one on the Bass Micro Synth, but you can throw the frequency knob using a volume pedal while you play. On the BMS you would have to sound a note and reach out and manipulate the freq while your note sustains. And on the HOG, if you hook up their foot controller to the unit you can store up to six presets complete with expresion assingnments.

9. jalv6

jalv6 Walloper of the Big Strings

Feb 1, 2008
    I finnally have on of these on the way. I plan to record some clips to post with a full review.

10. So how are the whammy options on the HOG?

I know you can sweep the voices with an expression pedal, but how does it work?

Let's say you want to go from +1 Octave + 5th to + 2 Octave + 3rd? Would this be possible?

I don't know if I sound get this one or a Whammy and a Micro POG.
    I want at least my octave up and down to be polyphonic.

11. I think that you have to buy the additional foot controller w/ six presets. If you have that you can set up one then switch to the other, but it isn't an expression controlled effect. I haven't got mine yet so I am not well versed in the minutia of its workings, but that is my understanding.

12. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've got a HOG, and use it sometimes. I'll write a review of it up in a minute here with some poorly done soundclips. :D

13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007