Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electro sounding thing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Viviuos, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Is it possible to get this sound without going digital? Here What I want is about 27 seconds in. But thats rather obvious.

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Awesome ... that took me back to some scary late nights on the PC! :)

I believe a EH Microsynth will get you a lot of the way, especially in terms of the fatness and the slight filter decay. You'd also might consider adding a chorus pedal after the MS to emulate the 'oscillators slightly detuned' effect that's so dominant in that sound. The only problem is that the non-clean signals (the octave up, down and fuzz) aren't pulse waves (which I think are the waveshapes used on that synth sound) but rather square waves, so even with the filter and chorus it will still only be an approximation, tone-wise.

Someone with a MS currently (I don't have one right now) will hopefully chime in soon...

Mike

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I would think any decent synth pedal could do it....or get you really close.

You looking to use it more for recording or live?

4. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I'm not i a band so i do all live stuff. I just like to jam out and make cool sounds. Is it at all possible to make something that would do this?

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    How much are you willing to spend?

Option 1) MIDI pickup -> MIDI/CV Converter -> Dual osc monosynth with Moog Lowpass filter
    Option 2) Pitch/CV Converter -> Dual osc monosynth with Moog Lowpass filter

Either of these would nail the sound, but the tracking might be iffy, especially on lower-pitched notes. The suggested bass synth pedals are still probably a better bet.

Mike

6. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Are there any specific pedals that would get me close. I have a Digitech Synth Wah, if that helps at all.

7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Akai Deep Impact... Will do that exact sound...

Alex

8. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Crap!! Now I have to find one of those.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Beat me to it.... ;)

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Mwah Ha Ha.. Yes... Yes I did!

I think that I figured out part of tom jenkinson's tone today, he MUST have a deep impact... Because synth patch 1 into a ring mod is the Squarepusher tone!!!

Alex

11. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Is there anything in the way of schematics for this bad boy?

12. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    HAHAHA!!! No.

but...

Even if there was you would need $10,000 in EP-ROM writing software and hardware, as well as the computer science knowledge on how to program such EP-ROMS. You have just about as much luck cloning a dinosaur from blood from a preserved cretaceous period mosquito!

:smug:

cheers and beers

Alex

13. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Or i could go to school (ITT) and let them do it for me.

PS. Darn them fine folks at Akai.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've gotten close to that sound futzing around with mode 4 on the Digitech Synth Wah.

15. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    You are correct, I can get fairly close. At least close enough for now. Thanks for the insight. Item added to GAS list ---> Akai Deep Impact

16. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Alright, this is getting upsetting. What is the first note? I know to play most of it but I cant seem to find where it begins. Any help would be much appreacted.