1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electronic Press Kit - Tips Please

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The good news... Big-time booking agent caught one of my band's recent shows, loves what we're doing and wants an EPK.

The bad news... We don't have one.

So what's the best way for us to pull one together quickly? Also, anything in particular we should include (or leave out)?

My BL wants to have something sent by next week so thanks in advance for any help!

2. EPKs are sort of a thing of the past. I don't know of anyone who actually expects them. If you get a slick website, that's usually good enough.

If you really want to make an EPK, there's a few websites that'll help you. Here's one, for example. THe key is to make it BRIEF and TO THE POINT. 2-3 paragraphs to describe the band is all you need, and LIST ANY REFERENCES THAT YOU HAVE. Get some good quotes if you can, especially from club owners or promoters. Also, reference any media or print appearances that you can, even if it's just on a local cable show or an article or album review in the local alternative paper. Bigger/higher visibility is better, but anything you can list is better then nothing.

I would forego an epk and get a good website. Wordpress is a good way to go, and it's pretty easy. Just make sure you have an "About the Band" page or something like that and a few good, quality recordings. The latter should be the hardest part of the whole ordeal.

The important thing is to show (either in the EPK or the website) is that your band is active, can draw a good crowd, act professionally, and most importantly be profitable for the promoter or club.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    My band uses Tumblr, and it has been fairly successful for us.

4. Pro (not a friend) photography.... Song list ... Clean logo..... True web URL... Song list .., video link.... Mp3 link

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Thanks everyone. We already have a pretty decent Website with its own url (not just a FB page) so I'm struggling to see how an EPK is much different than that.

6. format it in indesign etc to be print able.... then do it for a format size that works for phones... then one in comuters...

It really isn't different... just like a downloadable/emailable website.

PDF is your format

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Cool that helps a lot.

Thanks again.