1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

electronic tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Andrew B., Sep 14, 2010.

1. Andrew B.

Andrew B.

Aug 20, 2010
    I've never used an electronic tuner. I searched here for info and then got confused.

I don't need a $200 stage tuner. I need something for home use that is very easy to use and understand. I use four string electric bass.

2. ldmm

ldmm

Aug 18, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    You can try using a Korg CA-1.
    They are cheap and very reliable.

3. MosGuy

MosGuy Keep it low and thumping..

Dec 26, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Most tuners $30 or under work great. Which you can pick-up from any local music store. I've had various brands over the years they've all been reliable. The only thing you may want to mention is that it's for bass. Most tuners these days work fine with bass. But there are still some around that aren't designed to hear the low bass range. My last tuner was a Qwik Tune. Which worked solid for years, then suddenly the LCD display died for some unexplained reason. Last week I replaced it with a Korg GA1 for $21 CDN. Which I believe is the newer model to the CA1. It works just fine, most electric tuners are really easy to use and generally self explanatory. If you get one from a local music store the sales person will normally explain how to use it.

4. I've bought one before that didn't recognize bass frequencies - it needs to be able to function to 40 Hz or lower.

5. CG Jones

CG Jones

Mar 9, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Another vote for the Korg GA-1. I've been using one for a few months now, and it's great.

6. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    Even the ones that are supposed to be made for a bass don't always work all that well on the lower strings. I usually tune using the G and D strings and do the rest by ear off those.

7. Andrew B.

Andrew B.

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks. I think I'll get the Korg CA or GA. Well, the GA looks like it's for guitar/bass, so maybe that will be simpler to use. I hope this can handle the E string.

8. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I bought a BOSS tuner in 1990 and it still works perfectly.

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    These are all at the house: Korg GA-30, Korg GT-4 Guitar/Bass, and Korg Pitchblack (listed from lowest priced tuner to highest). I've got a Qwik Tune chromatic tuner, too.

GT-4 is small & handy for carry, or evaluating basses at the music store. Pitchblack is my FAV!

See tuner reviews on Amazon.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    for home use? here's a great one that goes right on your computer.

the demo version is free, and the paid for version is worth it.

11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    thats y this thread should b bout tuners that pickup low B well.

boss tu2- or 3

jmo

12. Maybe I'm the only guy who does this but I always use a chromatic tuner like the Korg
    CA-1 (like $20) because I never tune to open strings. I feel like I'm more in tune if I set up the bass, intonate it well, and then only tune to the 5th fret. Why? Because I seldom play an open string, and I tend to play in the deeper end of the neck. So, that's where I want to be most right-on. Also, the tuner seems more reliable up the neck rather than with the low E.
    Maybe there ought to be a thread on this.

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it will pickup C0 just fine (that's the C below the low F# of a 7-string bass.)

14. Andrew B.

Andrew B.

Aug 20, 2010
    Does that one listen to the bass with the computer's microphone?

Interesting idea. It also got me thinking. Sometimes I've played a note on guitar or bass that just doesn't sound right. With a chromatic tuner I could double check this.

15. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Intellitouch PT10. Clip-on style, large screen, bright display, 30 USD. However, I have always used harmonics to tune, so tuning the lower strings is a non-issue for me...cheers...

16. Andrew B.

Andrew B.

Aug 20, 2010
    I tried the one you can download and run from your computer. IOW, the AP Tuner. I wonder how close you are suppoed to get to the actual note. For example, below are links to a couple sites that simulate the sound of a bass. Running these against the AP Tuner, I usually don't get a perfect pitch. And I guess I don't expect perfection. I'm just wondering how close you usually get.

Keyboard Bass

Bass Tuner

17. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I bought a cheap Fender tuner and it wasn't very good. You can actually hear the note going out of tune while its in the "green", but the tuner doesn't respond until its way off. Get something else.

18. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    make sure the tuner is calibrated to A440.

i would expect the AP to be more accurate than sound samples, so you should be OK using it.

19. Andrew B.

Andrew B.

Aug 20, 2010
    I'm glad to get so many responses. Thanks to all of you.

I picked up a Korg CA-1 today. It does fine with open E, and it's easy to use.

20. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    The last three tunings I've done, I've used the on line sights. There are several that I've found. I'll tune with one and then go to another site for comparison. They've been together and right on the money each time. More than once, after tuning with a basic tuner, I've headed to a gig or auditon only to find that it was off a good bit. My favorite way is with the keyboard, but the on line ones have worked well for me. Can't beat the price. :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021