Elixer strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hondo8671, May 18, 2004.

1. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    what do you think of the Elixer bass strings? good or bad?
  2. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    found a set of lites for $36.99 plus $4.00 shipping is this a good price? 5 string :bassist:
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    they are great strings, except pricey, about 60 canadian for me, but considering one set lasted me about 7 months its worth it.

btw, this should go in the string section
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Try the Strings Forum. There are a few threads there on Elixers. I've posted details there based on my experience. Good strings, a little pricey, not for everyone. I really like them though.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    All my fretted basses get DRs. My fretless has Elixirs which don't wear the fingerboard as much. They're suppposed to last a long time.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I've used Elixirs since they came standard on my BTB, and I won't use anything else. The ones on my bass are five months old and they still sound brand new - actually - better than brand new because they're now just a tad less bright. The only two drawbacks are that they don't stay in tune, and they're too slippery.
  7. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I use Elixir strings on my fretless Acacia four string.
    I bought two sets about two years ago; the first set has been on for those two whole years. I keep the second set in my gig bag as a backup.
    Appearently the current ones are a bit different: they are called NanoWeb (IIRC) whereas mine are called PolyWeb... Don't know the difference.
    But seeing that my current set has lasted me two years and still sound as good as new, I'd say that these strings are worth the extra money. YMMV, esp. if you are playing fretted instruments, I recon.
  8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yeah, what they said. Mine last me an average of 15 months or so, used for 4-5 gigs/rehearsals a month. Slightly less bright than nickel rondwounds (which is what they are) out of the box, but the tone never changes. Check www.stringthis.com for the best prices I've seen on the web, at least for 6-string sets. Also check www.juststrings.com , their prices may be better in the 4-string sets.

Nope, just checked -- strigthis's prices are better. But juststrings has a more extensive selction of gauges.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use em. Still on my first set of em, going 3 months. Definitely will stick with these. IF they last over 5-6 months thatd be tyte.
  10. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    They came on the Ibanez I bought a while back. I've still got em, but as I've played them I've noticed a few things that I don't think I like about them (of course, you may dig them because or in spite of it, so don't worry too much about my opinions):
    • The more volume and gain I use, the more they ping or exhibit what seems like wolf tones (like under the actual tone of the G string, for instance, there's a pingy, high pitched noise and all the other strings are muted). Despite that, they're still entirely too bright overall for my taste.
    • This doesn't affect playability at all, but as they age and see time under my fingers, the coating that Elixir puts on them starts to come off. It reminds me of when my geckos and monitors are shedding skin.
    • Did I mention that they're really bright strings?
  11. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I used Elixers on my ABG and was always happy with the sound. Though the main reason I used them was they just felt great to my fingers. They are expensive but as others have said they keep their 'ring' longer than other strings.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't particularly like them. I have an aggressive style, and with regular playing, my strings are shedding after about 3 weeks.

I don't like shaving my strings.

13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    After 3 months the strings are only "shedding" in this one little area and thats because i picked at it when i first put them on to see what the coating was all about, so i doubt itd be there if i didnt pick at it in the first place. I think my playing style is light enough for these strings to stay intact.
  14. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    They're not bad: the ones that came with my BTB405 lasted for a long time, and are now my backup strings. Only problem is, I can't really comment on their long life - I've had a lot of those strings break on me. But they've got a great tone. I just dig DR Lo-Riders a lot better to nail the growly tone on my BTB. The DR's record amazingly too.
  15. I love 'em. If I had a lot of money I would change my strings every two weeks and probably go with GHS bass boomers (my old favorite). I can get a good 7 or 8 months of at least 2 to 3 times a week playing for a couple hours each time. Thats what I like, they're a little less bright out of the box, but the tone stays the same for months.

Mine don't start to shed for at least a few months. One band I was in we played "Ace Of Spades" by Motorhead, and I used a pick. I normally play with my fingers, but after going thru that song a few times, I noticed the strings shedding around the picking point. So, you might want to think about that if your a pick player. Other then that, they're the best strings (IMO) for a bassist on a budget.
  16. The Nanowebs are supposed to shed less or not at all if I am not mistaken.
  17. The Nanoweb coating is thinner and the sound is brighter (the strings sound "newer" - PolyWebs sound more broken in).

I love coated strings, they last a long time. I have four basses, and not all of them get played very often - on the ones that get played only occasionally, I have had the Elixirs on for several years with no ill effect. I do play fingerstyle / slap with no nail contact though.

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    After trying about every string on the planet over the last 4 years Elixers are finally THE sound I've been looking for.
    They sound like a nicely broken in set of roundwounds. They're bright but don't have the top end zing to them.
  19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    They have a dead sound right out of the box that last a good long time. If that's what you're in to, then they're quite possibly the string for you. But if you like the sound of fresh strings, I would buy any other cheap brand of string and change more frequently for the price of the dead sounding Elixers.
  20. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I like the nanowebs. I have a set on my fretless US Masters and a set on my Fodera Imperial 6. I like the strings a lot. But my current favorites are the DR Lo Riders.

My Imperial is a 36" scale bass as the Elixers were the only ones that seemed to make a string long enough to fit the bass. Well except for possibly Fodera. But they sounded and felt great on that bass.

I checked the "stringthis" site but they don't offer the long length in the 6 string sets which is a bum deal. But I really don't anticipate having to change out the strings on this bass for awhile.