Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Elrick basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkypa, Oct 8, 2005.

1. funkypa

funkypa

Oct 6, 2005
    Philly,PA.
    What are some opinions on elrick basses? Whats the big difference between the platinums and gold? Is the platinum worth the extra $?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Gold Series basses are all bolt-ons and are available with or without figured tops.

Platinum Series basses are either neck-through, singlecut neck-through, hybrid (set-neck), or hybrid semi-hollow. All Platinum Series basses have figured tops.

That's about it for differences- they all come with the same standard electronics and hardware, and you can get most of the same options on both types. It's worth it if you want the different construction type...neither is really "better" all-around than the other. You can even get New

I love Elricks myself- I own three Elrick Singlecuts and I'd love another- probably a bolt-on wenge necked one with jazz pickups for a variety of tones unlike the ones I have.

3. funkypa

funkypa

Oct 6, 2005
    Philly,PA.
    what would you describe the tone as? Can you think of a song with that kind of tone it in to compare it to? Anyone have sound clips?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm no great player or anything, but I have some sound samples of mine if you want to hear them.

Anyways, here's some short recordings:
    Recorded with Elrick singlecut fretted five
    A Simple Groove

Recorded with Elrick singlecut fretted six
    Chordal sample
    Low note and open strings walking sample
    Slap sample
    Four fingers demo video

Recorded with Elrick singlecut fretless five
    Overfield
    Lalalala
    Elrick fretless (active) with EBow
    Silly EBow sample with EBow
    Small video
    Elrick fretless

And some bass tracks I added to some .mp3s for a band in Prague called Suburban Death Squad, led by King Vitamin (aka Jeremiah Palecek). These won't be to everyone's taste (they're not gross or vulgar or anything- just weird) but I love them. I sent him a sample fretless track for "Poop on my face" and he wouldn't let me send a finalized version of it for him because he liked the looseness of it, so there's some noticeable intonation flubs :D
    With bass:
    Machette Madness with Elrick fretted five
    Poop On My Face with Elrick fretless five
    Hunting with Elrick fretted five
    Fly Into The Sky with Elrick fretted five

Again, I'm no great player, but these clips do sound pretty accurate, with the exception that there's more oomph to the bass when played live...maybe I'll mic my cabinets some time and record what they sound like.

5. funkypa

funkypa

Oct 6, 2005
    Philly,PA.