Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

embarassing recording question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Aug 8, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im kinda embarassed i should be asking this but whats the simplest way to record into a laptop. Ive done alot of computer recording but ive always written laptops as useless until they really started bringing the processors on these things. My laptop is an hp with a 3.2 gig processor. I wanna run sumthing simple on it. Normally id go all out but im living in australia right now for a few monthes and i need something much easier.
    i tried just plugging the bass into the mic input but it doesnt seem to work. I thought id grab sonar 2.0 before i left but it doesnt work for xp i dont think. Im un australia so could someone suggest just something so i can more or less hear myself through my laptop or maybe something pretty cheap, software or hardware wise. Id like to keep it close to $100. thanks

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I run Sonar 2 on XP without issue. I bet it just doesn't like the built in sound. I couldn't get it to run with my old tower's built in sound. I'm planning a recording laptop myself... you can either get a card with breakout box (Echo I think was the one I looked at) or a USB breakout box.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    XP has been the *current* MS operating system for about 3 years. Sonar 2 (I believe) came out post XP. I've not seen a *version specific* application installer in A LONG TIME. You've got a corrupt file / botched hack.

You really shouldn't admit theft on a BBS and you also shouldn't form opinions about software because of a botched hack job you downloaded for some other thief. :meh:

Go spend $50 and get CakeWalk Guitar Tracks, or isn't Sound Forge or some such free???

just MHO

4. You might try recording in Audacity. Free. Sonar may not like your built in sound (I suspect it wants a full duplex card and you have a half duplex system, but I'm just guessing), but I think Audacity will.

5. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Nowadayz laptops pack a powerful punch. Did you know that Marcus Miller uses his G4 Laptop, a MOTU 828 card, a little Oxygen Midi controller on the road to record? He uses Logic Pro as his Audio/Midi software.

Just an FYI.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Did I miss something? Theft? Botched hack? I must have missed something. Sonar only works with certain sound cards. Check cakewalk.com for the compatibility list. There may or may not be one that works on a laptop. There are PCMCIA sound cards, but don't know if they'll work with Sonar.

7. I run Sound Forge 5 on my W2K laptop using integrated audio circuits for basic stuff - SF is great IMHO - here is a little-known secret (not a secret anymore, for sure)
    go to Dell's download site (ftp://ftp1.dell.com/audio) and grab
    TB2-Eng.EXE. DO NOT install the drivers that are packed in this file! Just go to the /ENGLISH/APPS directory and run Setup.exe. I have run these apps on 95/98/NT4/W2K and XP, using everything from an old ISA SB16 to a pair of Delta 1010's and I tried them out on my busted-up laptop. You can't beat the price/performance ratio! My hat is off to Voyetra!