1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Emergency kinda...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Titovonb24, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Titovonb24

Titovonb24

Nov 14, 2010
    I'm the bassist and lead vocalist for my band, and we have a show tomorrow night. Now we planned on borrowing a PA system from another band, much more accomplished and financially set than we are. Well, I just figured out we might not have a mic system for the show, which I think makes us screwed. What we use in practice is typically a cheap mic plugged into a very old bass amp, which typically suffices. I don't really think it would sound good for this show, and I have no money to buy a PA system, so what is the suggestion? I suppose if I have to use the amp I will; I have no other choice. I just hope these guys come through for us...Any suggestions are much appreciated, the faster the better.

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    How about a rental?
    Most music stores will rent out just about anything, especialy in the wonderful economy we have today.

3. Hi.

As a rule of thumb, vocal mics are never shared/borrowed/rented/lent, but others are. Why don't You ask the band what mics they have?

A cheap mic is often as good sonically as one of the "better" ones that has seen years on the road, it's just not that robust. A 1/4 phono only casn be a problem with a mic level (XLR) only system, but any mic with a XLR connector will work.

If You're not famliar with the PA system you're borrowing, the biggest problem would be getting a decent sound out of it anyway, so if it's possible, try to get someone to show you how it works before the show.

Regards
    Sam