1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG active on Carvin Icon 4?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Seanith, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Seanith

Seanith

Jun 14, 2012
    I just got a frickin beautiful Carvin Icon 4. I'm not much for midrange though and I LOVE EMG's. The 35jx's, J's, or 35dc's are attractive right now. What do I need to know?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Congratulations on the new acquisition. I own a couple Carvin Icon 5s, and think they're fine instruments.

What exactly is it that you want to know? :confused:

MM

3. Seanith

Seanith

Jun 14, 2012
    What kind of routing will need to be done? Will i be able to use the knobs on the bass to control active mode as usual?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You'll have to replace the entire preamp for sure.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The Carvin Icon soapbars are in industry-standard dimensions - meaning that most major manufacturers (i.e. Nordstrand, Bartolini, SGD, etc.) have at least one model that is exactly the same size & shape, and will function as a direct drop-in replacement - no routing required. EMG has at least one such model as well, though I don't know what it is off the top of my head. Your most effective approach will be to contact EMG directly - or at least research the matter online.

Since EMGs are internally active (i.e. the pickups themselves are active - not just the entire system, such as when using them with an onboard preamp), they are not compatible with other makes & models of preamp. If memory serves correctly, you can either run them as is, without any additional preamp circuit, or you can use them with EMG's own onboard preamp circuit (again specific model name escapes me - you'll have to look it up).

MM