1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG Pickups with a Bartolini preamp??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by firefirehead, Nov 14, 2018.

1. firefirehead

firefirehead

Nov 12, 2018
    Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and apologize if this has been discussed before.

I have a Tobias Toby Pro 5 I bought years ago. At some point the pre amp went out and I replaced it with a Bartolini NTMB or similar. I'm to where I want to replace the pickups and I'm looking into buying an EMG 40dc for the bridge and possibly an EMG 40cs for the neck. Would it be safe to use the Bart pre or would I be better off just replacing all of it? Or... should I be looking at other pickup choices for the preamp?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You'll definitely have to replace the pots to use EMG's. Would be much easier to just go with Bart pickups.

3. Jose Bustos Jr

Jose Bustos Jr

Apr 5, 2018
    What's up everyone ! I literally just bought this for $180 dollars at a yard sale I know it's a pre-Gib but the axe itself don't feel heavy at all and the neck feels really smooth.... anyways I want to upgrade the pickups and preamp and I would like to get advice from anyone who has done something similar to what I want to do. I want Bartolini Soapbars and preamp installed in it but I dont know what model to get... any ideas/suggestions ?? Screenshot_20181119-104931_OfferUp. Screenshot_20181119-104931_OfferUp.

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nice Tobias! Pretty sure that is a Gibson-era overseas model though. The dot inlays and logo'd pickups are a dead giveaway.

You can measure the pickup dimensions and see what www.bestbassgear.com has to offer.

You should probably also make a new thread, as you posted this under a different thread :)

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  6. Jose Bustos Jr

Jose Bustos Jr

Apr 5, 2018
    It was a typo sorry guys I knew it was NOT a pre gibson tobias .... I knew it was a toby pro I just want swap the pickups for some barts as well the preamp.

7. firefirehead

firefirehead

Nov 12, 2018
    That's the same bass I have. The Bartolini M4s are a direct replacement from what I have read.