Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMG questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Okay first off I want to upgrade my Fender 60's Jazz bass to the EMG JV vintage set because a)it will cut in better with a pedalboard, and b) I want to keep it "vintage". Any of you guys know about this? Thanks. Also I have my Fender P-Bass that I have questions. Here is the situation. I have installed an EMG P in my bass but A) How much work is it to make a cavity in the bridge position for a long jazz bass pickup for EMG LJ pickup and a deep dish input? B)How do I wire the P-pickup>to the J-pickup>to the EMG-BTC (stacked bass/treble cut and boost)>Input? :help: Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Oy, paragraphs would help to start with ;)

I'm really not sure what you're asking here, if anything
    It's routing work, not exactly rocket science but I'd still advise you get a pro to do it. 70s J's were closer to the bridge than 60's J's, so you might want to consider your pickup placement also
    Easily, the wiring diagrams on the emg website show you exactly how to do this

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Wiring 2 pickups can be done many ways:
    2 Volumes
    1 volume with both attched
    1 vol 1 pan
    no volume and on/off switches
    directly to the output jack

Routing requires a professional who owns a lot of tools. It will cost you, and you'll probably never regret it. (I hate 1 pickup basses! Sorry!) Well, you'll never regret it as long as the guy doing it doesn't f it up.

4. Would leaving out the volume and just going with a blend knob work?

5. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    +1 to the list. I believe that would work just dandy.

But I forgot to mention that some of these may sound like crap, so... you know, don't hit me if they do.