1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG40 shape pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tymophil, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi all,

I plan on changing the pickup on an Aria-Pro II TSB-550. It is a single pickup configuration.

The pickup must be of soapbar shape, and its size should be about the EMG 40 shape.

I found only one pickup designed for 4-strings : Bartolini M44C-B.

I found two 5-strings :
    EMG 40DC
    Basslines SSB-5N

My favourite one would be the Bartolini, because it is passive and I can hook it with two different electronic harnesses :

Bartolini HR4.2
    Seymour-Duncan STC-3M3

For the EMG 40DC, I would like a 3-band EQ (3 knobs). What should I use (I searched through the EMG site, and could not find what to use for a single pickup configuration).

Now I have several questions :

1. Should a 5-strings pickup (with wide blades) be avoided ?

2. For the passive pickups (Basslines, Bartolini) which electronic harness would you recommand ? In fact, what combo (pickup, harness) would you recommand ?

3. For the EMG 40DC, what electronic harness would do (3-band EQ, three knobs) ?

Thanks.

2. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    If you get the Bartolini, I'd go with a M45CBC- Classic Bass Series.

I installed a set into an ESP bass along with an Aguilar OBP-3 and it sounded really good.

In my opinion, the Basslines are on the bland side, and the EMG's is on the harsh side.

There are a few other option for that size also, like Kent Armstrong and these.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The EMG 40J, 40TW, and 40P (the 6 string version) will all work with a 4 string as well.

4. Tymophil

Tymophil

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks for your answers so far,

I still have a question. All of you point me to 5-strings pickups. I want to replace an Aria-Pro II pickup, with quite narrow string spacing (about 50mm).

Is there any problem with having so much of the blades over... nothing ? Is there any chance that the pickup pick something else or something ?

I chose the Bartolini M44B just because it was a 4-strings pickup, and all other choices were by default only.

5. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    We are pointing you to 5 string pickups because you said "EMG-40" shape. That's a 4 inch wide 5 string pickup. You can of course use something in an EMG-35 shape (3.5" wide), which is the 4 string pickup, but I assumed you are trying you fill up the space of the original pickups.

No, there's no problem with the pickup beind wider than you need. Look at the new Carvin soapbar. They use the 6 string sized pickup on the 4 and 5 too. I think it looks silly on a 4 string.

There's always a chance of picking up something other than the strings. They don't stop that.

Bartolini makes a 4 string version of the pickup I listed as well.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Brian Barrett at LowEnd bass shop just had a custom set of Kent Armstrongs made for me to replace the EMG 40hz's in my Schecter Studio5.

Along with an Aguilar OBP-3 and I'm a very very happy man.

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nordstrand has them.
    Give 'em a call.

M