1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eminence Beta-15A

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spego, Mar 10, 2009.

1. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I have been reading reviews both on here and online as well. Anyone have anything bad to say about these drivers? I built a box and was going to put these drivers in it and tune it with WinISD specs. I am planning on 2 of these at 4ohm with my GK BL600.

Basically I like the price and do not need anything amazing....just 2 good affordable speakers.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Affordable, yes. Good, no. Qts is unusably high for a vented box.

3. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    oh ok....good thing I asked then....any suggestions for good affordable drivers to but in a 5.5 cubic ft vented box?

4. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    GAMMA-15A's look a little better....they would work a little better I assume?

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Gamma 15 is marginal. Beta 15 is better.

6. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    oh ok so the Beta is better than the Gamma but still not a good fit for a 2x15 vented box? Do you have any recommended speakers that are a better fit for that size enclosure?

7. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well, it's always better to do the design first with a certain driver (or drivers) in mind, but since you already have the cabinet built...

I might suggest looking at the KappaLite 3015 (not the LF). The Eminence sample box designs for this:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/cab-kappalite-3015.pdf

show a medium vented cabinet of about 2.8 cu ft for one driver. This should correspond to 5.6 cu ft for a pair (which is about what you have even though some should be subtracted for the driver volume, bracing, etc). From their design you would expect an f3 of about 65 Hz. Not the greatest for low frequency extension, but depending on the sound you're after it might be OK. Also, probably not much worse than many commercial offerings. Running this through WinISD with some careful estimating of your NET cabinet volume will give a bit more accurate result.

8. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Thanks much!

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    No fifteen works optimally in only 2.5 cu ft net. The 3015 is probably the best in that small a box, but it's hardly a bargain basement model.

10. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I guess I wasted some wood on this one. :( I am a noobie at this so I guess next time I will just get some plans first that have a driver in mind or buy something built from GC. I always try saving money and end up spending more anyway. :(

11. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I need to double check the measurements on this.....I remember measuring my current cab with a c2515 in it and just doubling the height (was originally planning on using 2 C2515's in it). I may have not measured the completed project correctly....or I just majorly f'd it up when cutting everything. I will remeasure and post if it is larger than 5.5.

12. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well, you do have other options if you want to investigate them before you scrap your cabinet. You could always consider making it a 2x12 instead (if you already have holes for 15 inchers you could make some adaptors). Something like a pair of Eminence Basslite 2012's would probably work OK in a 5.5 cu ft cabinet. Check out the medium vented bass guitar cabinet design (double it of course for 2 drivers)

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/cab-basslite-s2012.pdf

or the Deltalite II 2512 (although it's getting a bit more expensive. Forgot how expensive the 3015's are as well):

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/cab-deltaliteII2512.pdf

Or you could go with a 1x15 (e.g. 3015LF) with midrange driver similar to Greenboy's Fearful 15/6.

13. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I just checked the measurements again and it is 5.7. I might have to look at some 12's in there instead.

14. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    I recessed the front 1.5" and that was really where I messed this up bad. I was looking through my original plans there and I should have only did 1/2" and it would have been about 6.2 which is larger than the single box I am running right now with my C2515 (2.9 and it sounds fantastic). I can probably modify this and bring that front out more freeing up some more room I think inside. We will see...I need to let it brew for a while and figure out what to do with it.....it upsets me right now and I want to make it firewood. lol