1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Emotional rescue bass??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by capnjim, May 10, 2011.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I mean ***...is there a pack of bullfrogs attached to his bass?
    I could not imagine trying to figure this thing out!
    YouTube - Emotional Rescue The Rolling Stones (1979)

Then again, I also play a '65 Mustang quite a bit so I am definitely a fan of this tune.

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    If I recall correctly, it was either Keef or Ronnie Wood who played bass on the studio cut of that.

3. What exactly is your question?

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Ron Wood.

And Mick Jagger is playing the electric piano!

5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I guess my question would be has anybody ever covered this? Sounds like it would be really tough to copy.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I think the key would be to follow the correct changes, obviously, but also to be unafraid about simply imitating the pseudo-disco feel and throwing in a few of the licks here and there. No need to attempt copying everything that was recorded.
    It sounds like it might have been Keith's bass (Precision with flatwounds), but the playing sounds more like Ron Wood's. Just a wild guess.

7. MrSnuts

MrSnuts

Apr 5, 2011
    *lol* thought this thread was about playing bass in emotionally tense situations...#guess its a question of generations. Good everyones feeling well here :)

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Disco Stones.

Thank God that didn't last long. :scowl:

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    But you know? For the most part, they did it well.

I really love The Stones and while I'm not a huge disco fan, they always seem to pull off whatever they take a shot at. Great blues, great rock and roll, some great country-ish stuff (several tracks from Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet, plus tracks like "Dead Flowers" and "Far Away Eyes")..they even do decent reggae and, yes, disco. At least I personally like some of the funky/disco-ish cuts off Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, etc. I'm glad they just kind of courted the genre here and there and didn't drop discoalbum after disco album, but it was a nice change of pace for them I thought.

Heck, I even dig their stabs at psych, including the much-maligned Their Satanic Majesties Request.

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Miss You was one of the great club songs of the era. Still stands up with the best of them.

I think they were able to pull off different styles of music because they made them their own and didn't try to copy them outright, from their early blues and soul stylings onwards.