1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Endpin slipping

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by basss, Mar 23, 2009.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I've had my bass for about 15 years and in the last 2 years the endpin has started to slip - the weight of the bass pushes the endpin into the bass while I'm playing. The endpin is a smooth steel shaft. The bolt that tightens into the endpin has a metal plug underneath it which presses into the endpin. I would rather not buy a new endpin if possible. I've tried scoring it with a metal file - this works for a short time and then it begins to slip again. Is there anything I can do to prevent slipage short of buying a new endpin?

2. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Sounds like the screw is stripped. It's happened to me before.

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I can tighten the screw against the endpin and it holds for a bit. The screw turns in the threads fine. I did have to re-tap the screw hole a while back but it seems to be functioning properly.

4. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I went to a hardware store and got a hardened set-screw bolt, installed it with a black plastic knob from the same store, and the identical problem was solved-- the original screw had been too soft, and could not hold. Didn't have to go with the plastic knob-- on another one I made a nice curly maple knob to take the bolt. The bolt has a sharp circular ridge on the end of it and digs in pretty well on the softer steel of the end-pin.

Chet Bishop

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    You could always simply file an indentation or two in the pin at the heights you use the most.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It seems like the metal plug is the problem -- the indentation has to be at least as big as the end of that plug. It would be worth sliding the end pin out altogether and seeing how far that plug can actually be pushed in. If it is what's stuck for some reason, then no indentation will help.

A quick fix, as in "get me through the next gig," might be a small steel hose clamp and some bicycle inner tube rubber.