Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engelhardt/Strunal... Refinishing Plywoods

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dthibodeau, Nov 8, 2003.

1. dthibodeau

dthibodeau

Sep 11, 2003
    A couple of you all have mentioned in other threads to have stripped and refinished plywoods. Do any of you have finished pictures that we could see?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    [​IMG]

but that's from 1966 (and a small photo, I know).

But the reason the color is dark is the fact that not all wood beneath some laminated bass is that pretty. In fact, spruce (the usual top wood) isn't usually much to look at as far as grain goes, it's the maple sides and back that can be quite attractive. In my case the top wasn't all that nice-looking... but since the bass had been spray-painted blue and gold (as a magician's prop) I thought my route was a better choice ;)

If you own one of the higher priced models (Engelhardt ES1, ES9, for example) that have a transparent finish, your results have better potential as you can preview the wood beneath. But if it isn't, you may find that more pigment is in the finish for a very good reason.

Just my .02, of course my comments may not apply to your mission.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    These are photos of my Strunal 50/4, which I stripped over Memorial Day weekend. The "before" photo isn't that accurate...it never really looked that nice...it had a very thick orange-ish polyglop finish.

[​IMG]

Here's "after". I knew I had a New Standard Cleveland coming soon, so I figured "what the heck". This bass had already paid for itself many times over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd intended on more of a tint in the Tru-Oil finish, but it didn't work out. When all was said and done, I was happy enough with the blonde finish. The huge increase in tone and volume easily made it worth the effort.