1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

engraving a headstock logo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eots, Mar 14, 2008.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
    I'm thinking of putting together a bass and having matching headstock/body (red)color. I want to have a guy laser etch a headstock logo (as opposed to a waterslide decal) but am wondering if it should be painted 1st or after. If after, could I get clean sharp lines in the lettering by color filling ?
    He says to paint after. I'm just concerned about the crispy clean lines standing out.

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Paint first if you want the logo to be sharp. It will leave a nice dark line in your wood/paint. If you painted after it would make it dull and rounded. You could always etch another material and just inlay that, like a circle. It's not a bad way to go. ;)
    Ask if you can watch them etch, it's an amazing process, really like a laser printer should be really. Incredibly fast too.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

3. teej

teej Gold Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    These are some pickup covers I had engraved. I painted the metal first and then took the covers to a trophy shop where the guy laser etched them. I got to watch the whole process, and it made me REALLY REALLY want a laser engraver, but they're horribly expensive.

kent_new-covers2.

4. NathanB7

NathanB7

Dec 29, 2008
    So since you did the engraving yourself, I would like to know if it was difficult or not. I got one of those machines for laser etching as a X-Mas present and was thinking using it to engrave some pick up covers but wanted to ask if someone who already has some experience could share his thoughts. :)

5. that was your christmas present? wow :eek: