Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

epifani 112 ul

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pjleo, Jul 29, 2004.

1. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    Greetings,
    I am considering upgrading my current avatar cb112 cabinet.
    The epifani 112 ultra lite is currently at the top of my list.
    The 30 lb weight is a real selling point for me.
    I have no experience with neodymium speakers .
    So I was hoping someone could give me some advice/comments,
    On this or any similar cabinet.

It would be used mostly as a stand alone, with an ext 110 or 112 for larger rooms.
    Mostly wedding band type music. Also might use it for upright.
    I play four-string fender p-bass or j-bass.
    It would be powered by a Demeter hpb pre, Stewart 1.6 amp.
    Any info anyone can steer my way is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    pjleo

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I had a similar choice to make recently, and decided to go wth the Epifani T-112 instead of the UL. only 9-10 pounds heavier and better tone

(and less expensive!)

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I tried both cabinets and thought the T series had a bigger deeper more full sound to it...not that the UL is a poor sounding cab by any stretch of the imagination. I just liked the T series better

I am usuing an Eshenbaugh J Series Bass and currently using an SWR 400S amp (saving up for a Thunderfunk)

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If you search, I think you can find a Thread on the UL series. I've been looking into them as well.

From what I read, it seems that people thing the low-mid range it different than the T-series. Not really weaker or poorer in any sense... just different. And, as stated, the weight differencial between the 1x12 cabs isnt that much... as compared to say, the 4x10 cabs... where it can go from a 2 man job to a 1 man job to carrying the thing around.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    to my ears the UL series has a slightly weaker low end than the T series. YMMV

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The line from the company is that the UL's
    and the NYC's, have right about the same low
    end. AJ, is lack of low end your own experience
    with a number of UL cabs, or have you gotten
    this opinion from other players too?

7. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    Thanks for the info.
    The 112 ul 30 lbs. is really attractive to me.
    If go with the nyc cab i would have to consider
    the bergantino 112. It seems to be getting very
    positive reviews.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i was just at the Fodera shop thursday, having Joey tweak my Imperial-5. but afterwards, headed downstairs and met up with Nick to try a pair of 1x12UL's. and wow! just a huge, fat, articulate sound. definitely in my future. and yes, the carry was too nice. like an empty briefcase. :cool:

also, compared to the regular NYC series and the UL's, the same past results are the same: slightly more present, chewier midrange in the UL's. when i directly compared the two kinds of the 1x12's, the UL had that upfront midrange, while the NYC's mids were a tad sucked in. but to my ears at least, the low end did seem the same. just the differing midrange.

still, i doubt you could go wrong with either.

btw, i was testing the cabs with Nick's new and improved 2U Quest preamp and his custom power amp. soooooooo nice. literally sounded like my Avalon U5, but with an equally killer musical EQ!!! no joke, peeps, the Epifani amps rawk. and rawk hard.

said, they're shipping by late October, but we know what that means... :meh:

still, interesting to note, when i engaged the preamp's mid cut switch, the UL's suddenly sounded JUST LIKE THE NYC'S! quite interesting indeed...

9. se_jazman

se_jazman

Mar 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hi there!

I own a 112 UL cabinet and a 310 UL cabinet since a couple of months back and I am happy with both. The cabinets are powered with either a Thunderfunk amp, or a Demeter VTBP-201 preamp/QSC PLX3002 poweramp.

I agree that the 112 has a slight midrangy character when running it with completely flat amp settings. However, comparing it with the 310 the lack of bottom in the 112 is easily adjusted for by a slight bass boost, so in my opinion the bass response is there. Of course, on the other hand the 310 is louder by thats another story.

Unfortunately I have not made an A-B comparison between the 112 UL and the T 112.

Anyhow, I am very satisfied with the 112 UL and I can get the sounds I need out of it.

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just checked out 2 new 110UL's. Both sounded
    great, but not exactly the same. After a few
    weeks of playing they are starting to sound more
    alike. The 112 epi does everthing my old golliath jr.
    did, with more lows and more volume. (if you have
    enough power) and EASY to pick up. The 110 +
    112 cab combo is very effective. If you like the
    epifani sound or not, you must admit... epifani is
    really on to something here. Small, light, loud.

11. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    Just to update .....
    I ordered a begantino ht 112.
    I am a little gun shy of the neo speakers.
    Although heavier, the size of the ht 112 is quite a bit smaller
    then the epifani, which was the deciding facter [portability].
    No doubt they are both excellent cabs.
    I do have a 110 alum bass cab, that i may pair up with it for that 112/110 combo.
    Thanks again for all the info.