1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Which models are NYC made and which are off shored?

When did they start offshoring?

thanks

2. adepagter

adepagter

Mar 27, 2009
    I know that my UL2-410 cabs are made in Brooklyn*, and if I remember right the Quest preamp is made in europe.

* not sure where the proprietary speakers inside the cabinets are manufactured.

3. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    how do you know they are made in Brooklyn?

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Not sure about the other stuff, but I know my UL112 Series 1 cabs were made in Brooklyn... says so on the back.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Maybe the newishly annouced "EpiFunky" stuff?

6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Nope..all Epi stuff is now made abroad.

7. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I heard that too - but I want some... well, confirmation. I know my older stuff was NYC - but is it *ALL* farmed out now?

8. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I saw in the press release for the new D.I.S.T. cabinets that they are in fact made in NYC again. Those are their most expensive speakers, so it makes some sense. I have not seen any "made in brooklyn" wordings on any of their speakers, new or old. It just says Brooklyn, not made in brooklyn. I had some UL2-112s when they first switched to China, and the only way I knew is the outer shipping carton said made in china. Not the Epifani boxes, but the outer boxes that Music 123.com got them in.

So, I think right at this moment, none might made here. But that might change for certain models coming soon. That's my guess.

9. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Okay, so the next big question: Say I want to buy a 2nd hand Epi cab... And say that I'm one of those strange guys who really likes buying stuff made in the US... Are there any clear indicators on the cab itself as to where it is made?

10. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Why don't you call Epifani and get it straight from the horses mouth?

11. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Not that I know of. Maybe really, really old non-UL series speakers. I've never had those. But the newer models do not have marks anywhere except the outer shipping cartons, and you often don't get those. The owners manuals, tags, cabinets, all just say Brooklyn. There is apparently a weight difference between us and China cabinets, within the same model number. So, a UL2-112 might be a few pounds heavier than another, but I can't confirm that. From the outside, they all appear identical.

And you are not strange for wanting made in the usa stuff. Not at all. I'm the same way, and I returned my Epifani cabs for this reason. I bought Bergantino and Genz Benz instead. There are still plenty of companies sticking to us manufacturing, so you do have a choice.

That said, I did like the Epifani's, and am keeping an eye to see if he does bring back the UL series to the us someday.

12. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    if he's buying used cabinets, this will do little for him. He's asking if individual cabinets are marked to help him in his buying decisions. My answer was no markings, but someone else might know about older cabinets.

I did call Epifani when I got my UL2 cabinets last fall. But the new lines of course weren't announced. So maybe things have changed.

13. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This lack of clear marking disturbs me. Heck, who else who makes "high end" cabs is doing this?

Are Aguilar cabs / amps all US made or are some off-shored? Bergs? Genz? Etc, etc...

14. synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    well, my Bergantino does not say made in anything on the actual cabinet. Their website says it loud and proud, but not on the actual product. My Genz 212T cab says "made in usa" on the back jack panel. So, I don't think there is any consensus. Seems to be whatever the man. feels like. Like I said, I've seen old UL1 series jack plates for Epifani, and they do not say made in usa either, but they were.

I always assumed if something was made in China, it had to say so. But maybe that's not so. Or, no one is actually checking, so no one sticks to it.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    For clarity... all of our bass cabinets are made in the U.S., using U.S. components.

16. as soon as I saw this comment, I knew you'd be reassuring us there horse... Whenever a Genz anything is mentioned, you're on that like flies on poop.

17. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct

Bergantino is definitely 100% built in the USA.

18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I recently sold a brand new Epifani UL-112. The cab sounded great..I just was not using it...

I don't recall what the marking on the cabinets said...and I never really took notice..but now that I think about it...
    the boxes the cab shipped in..
    they looked to be from somewhere outside USA???
    if that makes any sense at all...
    they had some unusual symbols imprinted on them..:confused::confused:

19. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I hate to sound jingoistic.... but bless you. You'll get my business, sooner or later.

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There's just too much misinformation on the forums about products and we try to keep stuff about our products accurate. There are plenty of forumites that e-mail or PM me when something is either confusing, somebody has a problem or question and needs an answer, or where there is a general technical question that they think I may be able to translate and answer to the masses. It's a jungle out there ;)