1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epifani T series cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassWombat, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I see lots of folks getting exciting about the UL cabs, but not many mentions of the T series. I just noticed one of the Aussie TBers is selling a T210 and a T112 and I wouldn't mind getting opinions on them. I've also been considering a Schro 1212 or a Berg HT/EX stack.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Epifani doesn't make the T series anymore as you are thinking of it techincally. However, the back of both of my cabs are marked T112-UL. The new line from epifani that doesn't utilize the neo speakers it the performance line.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    In my opinion the T line of Epi's were much better than the newer cabs with the neo speakers. If I ever found an older T series 112 and I have the cash I'd buy it right up. Great cabs.

4. I owned the T310 and bought a UL410 to replace it. The UL410 is a very very nice cab! :hyper:
    Then I ran across an older T212 and now the UL410 sits at home most of my gigs. Nuf said? :D

5. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I have a T410 and T115, and they are really great cabs. They have a quality to their sound I've never heard in any other cabs. I don't use them much any more, mainly because I am playing mostly modern rock, and for that they are too full sounding to sit right in a loud rock mix. But, I love everything about them except the weight of the 410. Good stuff those T's...

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i also have a t series 410 and its a great freakin' cab. although i never take it out because of the weight. i was expecting the high end to sound a lot different than the newer ul cabs because i know they changed cross overs but to my ears they still have a very similar character.

7. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    +1 Emjazz. I really miss the tone of my T210 and T212, the first ones made. Their departure was due, as with everyone else, because of the weight. But my undoing wasn't because of convience but rather my stage 4 cancer I came down with 3 years ago and the UL410 couldn't have come at a better time.:bassist: :D

8. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi: I own one of the first T212's, and it will be with me
    on the funeral boat pushed out to sea aflame when
    I die, one of the sweetest cab's ever.

I bought a T112 for smaller volume gigs, and have
    yet to find so much sound from a 1 x 12" (and I've tried
    a bunch)

Last purchase, just this week, is a T110 to be powered
    by a SWR Electric Blue for my tiny stuff (bluegrass/Latin)

I think the old ceramic drivers have alot going for them.
    The neos while being lite are not as ballsy as the standard ceramic magnet speakers.
    NEOs have a slightly higher frequency balance that translates into less low end response.
    On the other hand harmonics are crisper with the neos.

Yeah, it's an extra 10 lbs to haul around, but I can EQ mids
    any day, but can't get back that sweet round low end response.
    After spending the big bucks in the eternal search for tone,
    what is 10 lbs????

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    If it weren't for the new Bergantino IP's, I'd probably be searching out an older side by side T212. I've not been moved by many speaker cabs but when I heard that thing fired up for the first time I was speachless. Like most cabs that I've liked though, they take some power to get them moving.

10. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Just two weeks ago I became the owner of a T-310 with a long line of previous TB owners (smperry -> guy with random letters in his name -> OpaqueBass -> now me, lol). I really liked how it was sounding with the GK head I tried it with before buying it, but a practice this weekend will be it's first real test. I'll report back to this thread if it hasn't been completely buried by sunday!

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Once you put the power in front of one, WHOOOOA

Man could those cabs throw a punch. Now I'm having withdraws.:p

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup....I always wanted to hear one with a CA9!

13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I have a pair of T112's that a buddy sent me last week to try out. If I didn't have the Berg HT112's I would probably think they were nice sounding cabs, but having the Begs right next to them reveals no contest IMO. BERGS RULE!!

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY

I have to admit, I wish Berg would make a 112 the size of the old Epi 112's though.

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i found the opposite to be true. the berg 112 i had seemed to dissapear if you walked more than a couple of feet away. good tone, but pretty small sounding compared to the epi 112 boxes.

16. Do many of you guys buy used cabs without trying them out? The last couple of speaker cabs i bought used i have had bad luck with and the speakers died. Its hard to tell these days. Do the older epifani t series speakers last a long time with moderate volume use??

17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    all 3 of my epi cabs i bought used without trying them out and all of them have worked like a champ. i guess it just depends who youre buying from.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's interesting. My experience couldn't be further from yours. As you move out into a room the Bergs bloom and get bigger.

19. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    one of my favorite setups ive ever heard was martin keiths acoustic image focus II through an old side by side epi 2x12t. perfection.

20. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    I have an old T-112 that I love. It's the first version with slightly less internal volume. I got it on a trade after I had owned a UL-110 and a UL-112 for a few months.

I finally racked my Quest pre and I got to use it last night for the first time on a gig (with a Stewart 2.1). The results were very positive. With a slight bass and treble boost from the onboard pre and running the Quest's first channel flat into the UL-112 and T-112, the bass had great depth, warmth and articulation. I, too, find the Berg mini-stack's low end projection at 6 ft. to 15 ft. a bit lacking compared to the Epifanis but mostly at lower volumes. In a lot of places I play I can't turn up loud enough to get the Bergies really moving and the Epifanis seem to sound fuller at lower volumes.

Before that I had been using a WWU and alternating between a UL112/T112 stack and a Berg mini-stack and the Walter's character didn't always vibe well with my Sadowsky PJ5. String and fret noise were greatly emphasized and I felt that humbucking soapbars were better suited. Most noticably with the presence of a T112 and the Quest's first channel, the PJ is never harsh and has multitudinous low end. There are times when I want to get a real round, fat sound like a B3 and the T112 gets me there.