epifani vs aguilar for eub

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by daveant, Mar 16, 2006.

1. daveant

Feb 17, 2006
    Has anyone had an opportunity to A/B an Aguilat GS-112 with an Epifani UL-112 using an AI focus head for EUB? If so, please post as you could possibly save me alot of time.
  2. I'd recommend an Eden. I play a KYDD with an Eden 550 and 4 ohm 212. Fantastic.
  3. Flybass5

Flybass5 Guest

Aug 2, 2006
    I use an Epifani UL502 head with two of the UL110 cabs to amplify my modified Dean Pace Bass. I get a great sound and have used this rig outdoors and at the House of Blues in Orlando without any problems.
  4. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I'd definitely go with the Epifani 112. I had an Aguilar 112 and sold it. With a Knutson Messenger EUB and Focus head the Aguilar was a bit too bottomy with not enough definition. The Epifani is a higher definition sound with warmth IMHO.
  5. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I love my Epifani 110UL with the AI Focus. However, when playing my Eminence EUB I have found a much more pleasing eq'ing options with an Epifani UL502 head.

I'm sure the 112UL cab will be great.
  6. extrem94

Feb 15, 2005
    in my humble opinion any 15 inch speaker for EUB.
  7. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've not tried the aguiliar, but have owned the ul112 briefly, and used it a focus on upright, EUB, and BG. The Ul112 seems to have a peak in the upper mids, and a little shy in the bottom. In short:I didn't dig at all. I ended up splurging on an accugroove tri112(38lbs), and what a great, balanced cab!
  8. bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I've never used the Epifani, but I have a GS-112 and a Focus head. Sometimes w/ double bass I feel there are not enough mids, but w/ bass guitar and my Eminence EUB I feel the extra warmth is a good thing.
    It's very sturdy. I've had it about 5 years now w/ constant gigging and it's held up really well. can't remember the speaker ever bottoming out either.