1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Deep Sixx Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Jun 12, 2014.

1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Slight mod on an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird: black and red control knobs, black pickguard wiith red thunderbird decal, DR Red Devils, Hipshot bridge and new pickups.
    Does anyone have any idea if the Epiphone Deep Sixx pickups are that much different than the standard ones or maybe on par with the Gibson pickups used on the Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro?
    They sell for between $50 and $70 on ebay and should be a direct fit, I believe.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    Wondering the same thing myself.

3. hillerup

hillerup There are basses, and there are Thunderbirds!

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    My guess is, they are probably identical to the ones on the regular Epi T-Bird - just branded DeepSixx...

I'm pretty sure the difference in tone from the regular lies in the direct wiring without any controls...

4. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    I picked up am Epi Goth on the cheap and was just looking at the Deep Sixx pickups on eBay myself.I like the tone of the bass now but I have a habbit on not leaving well enough alone lol.Might still grab them and through them on there to see.If anything it'll add a little cool factor.

5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I've been searching for pickup options for my bolt neck Korean Epi T-Bird...not finding much at all in terms of pickup design, type of magnets etc.

My T-Bird plays really nice but I find the 2 pickup sounds to be very similar and a bit one dimensional...not that they don't rock and punch out, they do!

I think they are a bit overwound at 12k or so....they seem a bit lower mid heavy.

I thought about 500k or 1000k pots, as well as a string change first though.

Any advice from you all?

6. hillerup

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Here's an idea:

If you get the DeepSixx pickups maybe you could do some A/B testing with the Goth pickups by wiring them the same way and share that info with the rest of us?

I've heard people mention rewiring their Goth like a Blackbird with only a kill switch and getting a much louder and growlier sound, which leads me to suspect the pickups are identical.

7. hillerup

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    My best advice is to visit The Thunderbird Club:

http://www.talkbass.com/index.php?threads/Thunderbird-Club.1056205/

This question has been up there several times and you will get all the answers you're looking for if you ask - the club is super super friendly and would love to get a new member! :)