epiphone eb-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jun 10, 2004.

1. as some of you know i am saving for a new bass. i am mainly think of getting a fender standard MIM jazz bass beacuse i love the feel and the sound, but latley iv been really likeing the look of the epiphone eb-3 bass. full scale, block inlays two pickups and really cool looking do you guys think the epiphone would be good for rock and mainly blues or should i just stick with the jazz.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Oi vey! Make up your fecking mind! Gnnnaahh! :mad:
    You say you're going to get all these things, yet you keep changing your mind. Job first, bass later.

On a nicer note, the EB-3 is supposedly a great bass. I owned an EB-0, shorter scale neck, single pickup, you know.. It was uber neckheavy.. I only used it for one performance which was Les Miserables. When I let go of the neck, it was carnage.. Music stands and clarinet chunks everywhere.
  3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Stick with fender, dude. Or else you might have to change your screen name thing and that would be a confusing mess.
  4. Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    IMHO the Epi EB-3 is a great bass, especially for the genres you mentioned. The playability is the best I've seen so far, the neck's just great. There is no way you can call it hifi, so if you're looking for some modern sound you won't find it there. It's no slap bass either, but slapping is for them weird funk-people anyway :) The humbuckers growl; you'll have to search for a while to get a really smoooooth sound out of it. But heck, it's a rock bass and a smooth sounding rock bass is no rock bass.

And yes, it's a beauty :)
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have both a MIM Jazz and an Epi EB-3 and I'd definately recommend the Jazz. It is good for any kind of music, and more comfortable to play. There is a large selection of pickup and hardware upgrades available. I've played blues, rock and country on mine and it always sounds great.

The EB-3 has a nice neck, but the neck dive is terrible. It only really has one sound, the 3 point bridge sucks, and it is pretty much impossible to slap due to the neck pickup being in the way. There is only one company that makes a pickup that fits, and that is only for the neck pickup. I've also found that it is hard to get a good sound from some amps. It takes a lot of tweaking to sound good. It is good to have for certain situations, but not as a main bass (and I just bought an Epi Allen Woody that is better in those situations anyway). It does look good, and looks are important, but not as important as the other things. Don't ever buy a bass solely because you like the looks.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The EB 3 is a nice looking bass but it is limited in what it can do, their are also quality control issues with Epiphone so if you were going to get this bass pick it out yourself. Jazz basses are a good all around diverse bass.
  7. well first of all i do not slap. and i just do finger style so that isnt a problem. and what is neck dive? is it were the neck meants the body?
    and if i were to get the eb-3 i would probably replace the bridge with a BADASS I.
  8. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have an Epi EB-3 for sale. It's about 3 years old, in great shape.
  9. im not so big about buying basses used i like them new unless they are really expensive then i will buy them used. sorry

i have a couple of qustions for MUHWI on the eb-3 epiphone you have, do the strings ever buzz alot? and how is that brige on it if i were to get the eb-3 i would probably replace the bridge with a BADASS I.
  10. Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    The strings used to buzz a bit when I first got it, but some tweaking with the truss rod and the bridge solved the issue. The bridge is attached with three large bolts compatible only with the 3-point bridge, but I suppose a BA can be installed without difficulty. The only issue is that the bridge pick-up is kinda high ('bout 1.6 cm), so make sure your new bridge lets you rise your strings enough.

Neck dive means that the neck/headstock weights more that the body, resulting in the neck "diving" = falling if you let it go. Many say this is really annoying, but I never found it a problem. Besides after getting a decent leather strap I've seen less neck dive than most basses, ie JBs.
  11. He said Badass I, it was specially made for gibson basses. It has a really thick bottom plate, so it is high enough.
  12. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Hey, ley us know if you find a BA1 and get it put on. I to like the EB bass but loath the bridge. I went looking for info on where to the BAI and found nothing but BAII info. Do they even still make the BAI?
  13. if you go to leo quan it says they do.