1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epiphone Thunderbird pro 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nesta420, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Nesta420

Nesta420

Jan 21, 2011
    So I'm looking into buying this bass I've played the four string and the tone is incredible but I've read lots of places that the Bstring doesn't come through or if it does its very quite. Anyone have an idea? If this is a fixed bug or current problem.

2. VoodooDust

VoodooDust

Jul 3, 2010
    Germany
    That's true. My girlfriend has one, and the B-string is just barely picked up, BECAUSE THERE IS NO MAGNET UNDER IT! It seems like they just put a 4string pickup in a bigger casing. I don't know if they fixed it since she bought it, but I doubt it.

3. ih8law

ih8law

Aug 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    VoodooDust's girlfriend must have been one of the unlucky people who got stuck with a bad one and never took advantage of Epiphone's recall offer. It was a problem on the first batch only. The B string sounds great now on newer models. Check out a cheesy video I made of mine if you don't believe me or want a sound sample:

This rumor about the B-string must really be killing sales, as it is so persistent and oft repeated. Epiphone needs to do a better job about killing that rumor off.

4. I've heard the same thing said many times since i have begun looking into the t-bird pro v. I myself have considered slaping a pair of Barts in it, however i can't seem to find the pick up dimensions and i don't want to spend the money to have a humbucker thats too long or too narrow...

Maybe you could send that my way (ih8law), save me the wild goose chase

5. ih8law

ih8law

Aug 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I actually sold that bass, so I can't get those measurements for you. Sorry!

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I got a 5'er in natural AFTER the B-string issue got solved(there was a running thread on TB with Epiphone's replies, etc.). The B-string sounds "normal" here....and that is through speakers that can actually do the Low B, ACME's.

7. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have not played the 5er, but i agree on the tonel range of the pro. I had a luthier fret dress mine and replace the factory nut with a tusk, amazing bass @ a super price!