Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epiphone Upright bass value?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mathicus7, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Mathicus7

Mathicus7

Jan 25, 2005
    Albion, ME
    Hello all,

I have an Epiphone upright bass and was wondering if anyone knew how much they are worth and when it was made? I have tried contacting Gibson about it but they do not know. I purchased it from a church back in 1999 for $400. It has been restored with a new nut and bridge and sounds great. Please look at attached photos.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Epiphone made an upright? :eek: :confused:

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Epiphone made lots of DBs. I had a great one for awhile, and let it go (dammit!).

4. DrDelicious

DrDelicious

Apr 18, 2004
    Illinois
    That's a beautiful instrument.

5. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Which model is it... it should have like a B3, B4 or B5 on the brass nameplate. B5's are top of the line are relatively valuable for a laminated bass. I have a B4 which i dearly love.

6. Mathicus7

Mathicus7

Jan 25, 2005
    Albion, ME
    according to the tailpiece it is a b5

7. This one looks great! Again, if y'all just use the search function, you'll find tons of info on Epis...from their history, models, prices. They, IMO, are the boss laminate bass from the old days. Most sound good and are great fun.
    I see you have the etched COLOR full plate machines. Some have an extra turn on the real scrolls. The angle of your pic ture, unfortunately, doesn't show this.
    I saw one once owned by an L.A. studio player that had some of the most outrageous maple figure i've EVER seen on any instrument. This one had a great custom ebony fingerboard as well!
    I'm real fond of those huge F holes too. You can practically put your whole damn hand in there. Congratulations!

How about a shot of the back?

8. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    OK..now look on the bottom of the finger board and there is a number stamped into the wood. Mine is 1841 and i think it is a late 40 early 50s although im not sure. As far as value, you're probably in the 3-4k range.

9. Mathicus7

Mathicus7

Jan 25, 2005
    Albion, ME
    I have looked all over my bass and can not find any numbers. The fingerboard has been reshaped and the numbers might have been removed then.

10. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    On mine they're located right here:
    [​IMG]
    They're on the thin plane of the bottom of the fingerboard that faces the floor. I looked for about 25 years to find them and then someone here explained where to look. You almost need a flashlight to see them as they're stamped into the wood and not very clear.

11. Mathicus7

Mathicus7

Jan 25, 2005
    Albion, ME
    I double checked and there are no numbers at the end of the fingerboard. I think when they reworked my bass they were sanded off. You can see the original finish on the sides but the bottom end is different.

12. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    oh well...bummer.. beautiful looking bass anyway.. how's it sound and play??

13. alavakian

alavakian Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2002
    SF Bay area
    Try looking at the bottom of the scroll area.