1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epoxy work surface

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by IWieldTheSpade, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

Mar 15, 2010
    Hi all,

I've found some carbon fibre cloth floating around from one of my previous builds and figured I should use it in something. Last time I worked with cf and epoxy though, it was done in a similar fashion to a surfboard - placed on a stand and done one side at a time. This time though, I need a work surface to do the glassing on. Wax paper seems to have completely disappeared around my neck of the woods, so do any of you with epoxy experience have any other recommendations?

Thanks

2. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Cool that's my next project...but I lost my rool of CF in the shop! Check Amazon they have it and you might be able to find it in something wider that a restaurant uses. Have you ever used a vacuum bag system? I think I might try it next time.

Sorry if I have more questions than answers. I'm about to another one and this popped up at the right time.

3. IWieldTheSpade

IWieldTheSpade

Mar 15, 2010
    I've not used vacuum bagging before, I've only done hand lay-up work. I can't try it for this one either because I want to use the cf as a backing to a sort of chambered frame.
    Last time I used surfboard maker's epoxy, but this time I'm giving a type of marine epoxy a go. It's water-based and has a little more flex, so it's (apparently) suited to going over timber a bit more.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    TB member @MPU has done some brilliant work with CF layups over the years.
    First thing I would do is reach out to him. I have only seen him use molds/vacuum, but I bet he has plenty of knowledge.

Here is one of his threads:

Headless full carbon fiber bass

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Clear packaging tape is an alternate to waxed paper, for making a non-stick gluing surface. I have several gluing beams that I use for clamping up necks and bodies. I cover the top surfaces of them with clear packing tape. Woodworking glues and West System epoxy won't stick to it.

Another alternative is to use a sheet of aluminum, wiped down with wax.

6. DOMIT

DOMIT

Feb 16, 2016
    Epoxy does not stick to polycarbonate. (Lexan)

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Epoxy doesn't stick to the large black yard or contractor bags, either, so taped down, they make a good bench cover.