1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ Help

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jmc213, Oct 1, 2009.

1. jmc213

jmc213

Oct 1, 2009
    I use a Fishman BP-100 bridge-mounted pickup to amplify myself in my college big band. My bass was made by Barry Kolstein, and it has a really beautiful, warm pizz tone. But I am having trouble getting that tone to come out of the amp. I do not have a real acoustic bass amp at my disposal, which is probably a lot of the problem.

The D and G strings sound tinny
    ANY finger noise is picked up
    None of my bass's warmth is being picked up, leaving my tone kind of hollow sounding

Any advice concerning EQ, setting up the pickup, or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

The BP-100 can sound very good on some basses. Mine is not one of them. You might consider the Fishman Full Circle if you already have an adjustable bridge.

The BP-100 usually needs a buffer preamp like the Fishman Pro Platinum or F Deck's HPF pre amp. That will help with the tone quality.

3. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Yes, the bp-100 can be very good at picking up unwanted finger noise. Further, if you are not using a bass amp this may limit how closely you can make the amp sound like your acoustic bass.

Bear in mind, people spend thousands trying to replicate the acoustic bass sound through an amplifier. If I were in your shoes I'd start with a new pickup.

For starters, cut the high frequencies to get rid of the finger noise.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Full Circle.
    The Pro Platinum EQ (whatever you call it) works well and is a versatile way to get a usable tone, but I would change the pickup first.