Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eq or aphex xciter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by B String, Feb 22, 2006.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My Focus I is a great amp, but the tone controls do very
    little. I've been using a little Boss stomp box eq to add
    some lows and highs.Would an Aphex bass xciter do the same thing?
    Will it do a better job?
    Will it help me get work?
    Will it me be more popular and play better?
    Can it help me be more attractive? Wadda ya think???

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    2 different things. If you want more EQ control, get an EQ. If you want that "magic dust" thing to fill up your bottom end get th eAphex.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey, now! ..That's bottom AND top-end magic.

It's definately different from an EQ, B. I love mine set at about 5.5, 7, 6.5, 8. I wouldn't mind trying the combination of an EQ and the Xciter. (I think what I'll end-up doing, though, is putting a rackmount parametric EQ in my head-insert.)

Joe

4. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So will I still need eq to add a little more lows, or is
    the xciter enough?

5. I have used both the boss eq and the aphex and now I just use the aphex. I've found it is enough, and I have been cutting back on the lo tune knob quite a bit recently.... It can be very powerful. The hi tune can add loads of cut to the signal in the lower settings. As a bonus, it can add warmth to your sound.

You can also get around using one by toying with the eq on your amp. Set it all flat, the take away. For instance, say you want mopre bass, take everything else down and it sounds like you've boosted the bass, but more rounded if that makes sense. same for any other frequencies.

Hope this helps

6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the help. The problem is that the eq on my
    Focus is just about useless.

7. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Problem solved. The Aphex bass xciter rocks. I didn't
    need more eq, I just needed better sound. The xciter
    will be an intergral part of my rig. DONE!

8. I run my exciter all the time. I got it because my new warwick cab has alot of mids... and the aphex adds more warmth and depth and phatness to it.

However, try one first. Ive found it completely sucks my tone, and is a bit noisy. Also, i play an active bass, but have it on passive, otherwise there is a massive volume drop, and crappy tone.

9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The trick is in the setup. They tell me you need to start
    with the blend knob all the way up, then hit low notes
    and find the sweet spot. Then bring the blend down to
    where it just has an effect. Then do the same for the highs.
    At low to moderate volume its a VERY useful tool. I think
    it will be stellar in the studio.

10. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I think of my Bass Xciter as a Super-EQ of sorts, which I use predominantly for adding clear bottom to my sound. The high-band Aural Enhancement features on the unit are a bit more subtle IMO.

Each bass I own has a different 'sweet spot' setting on the Aphex, and settings that work for a Jazz bass may sound completely wrong on a PJ, or a humbucker bass. Though I have yet to record with it, I can imagine it'd be exceptional for thickening up bass tracks without adding mud.